The dangers of slipping envelopes under closet doors

starwars10101

06LunaCat06

It had long been said the room was haunted, specifically the closet. Weird noises seemed to come from it. Things would go missing from the room. And several people even swore to have seen a creature come out of it. The door had been left open, but it would always be shut come night. This was mostly ignored because of the fact that all the previous tenants had been kicked out for their excessive drinking. And falling off the roof. Something about the room just made people want to drink until they ended up confused on the roof. It was always the roof.

But in spite of all this, Marianne's parents were persuaded by the fact it was the last room available, the assurance that almost all former occupants were now in rehab, and an offer to drop the housing prices significantly as long as they would sign a waiver in case she fell off the roof. Insurance refused to cover it.

They slept well knowing that even if they hadn't put their daughter in a very safe neighborhood, they had saved hundreds. And even if their only daughter did become an alcoholic, the chances she would get better were twelve to one. And one to twelve she would fall wrong off the roof.

Marianne wasn't told any of this when she moved in, her parents feared she would panic if she heard. But every night as they tucked her into bed and kissed her good night she'd ask, "could you check the closet?"

They'd laugh, and tell her monsters weren't real but deep down they were afraid what they might find if they humored her. Also they felt they were already doing enough driving across town every night to tuck her in.

As Marianne grew older she was able to convince herself there was nothing in the closet, but she never grew brave enough to check. Instead it became a joke. She'd talk with the monster and ask its opinion on which dress to wear and then ask it to close the door as she changed. She'd turn away and turn around to a closed door. As strange as the timing was she couldn't in the light of day truly bring herself to believe there was a monster in her closet.

It was easier for her to believe she was the victim of a very complex and ingenious prank that complete strangers had decided to make her the target of. This has happened to her more times than were normal.

Until one day after coming home from a party, she jumped in the shower. (That wasn't the abnormal part.) Marianne was in the habit of bathing unlike some college students. It was a little quirk she'd picked up in her childhood and never quite got over.

As she walked out drying her hair with a towel (another thing she was in the habit of doing) she saw an envelope slip out from underneath the closet door. This was the strange part. It is a little known fact that envelopes rarely come from under closet doors and thus can cause fright to arise when they do so, as we as humans have an inherent fear of change.

Her heart skipped a beat as she realized someone was in her closet, (that was the only known reason for envelopes coming out from under any doors.) Fear crept up.

No, this was a stupid trick by one of those dumb boys from class. The paper probably said something along the lines of, 'look inside'. And one of those idiots was probably waiting inside to jump out with a shout and startle her. A stupid trick she was too smart to fall for, she barred it with a chair and called campus security.

Although it was the silence that started to upset her as she waited. Shouldn't there be some kind of sound? Having little experience with envelope slippers, Marianne was unsure how much silence was normal. It was too quiet, the buzz of the refrigerator filled the open air. She opened the window to let some air in along with the sounds of the night. The sounds of gunshots and idiots dry humping in the parking lot had never been more welcome.

A knock came on the door, startling her for a moment before she ran out to answer. She had only been out for a moment, but when the man opened the closet door, they found no one.

The man left, and she was alone, she rushed to the window and looked down the flat side of the tall building. No, they couldn't have made it out. With a chill of terrifying reality she realized they were still with her, hiding somewhere in the room.

Envelopes slippers have no known supernatural powers greater than literacy, as very few envelopes are slipped without reason, or without writing as a result.

She braced herself and then looked under the bed. Nothing. But there was nowhere else to hide. The size of E.S.'s is still to this day unclear, so assuming she was dealing with a normal sized adult she didn't think to check her drawers.

It was then she remembered the note, still sitting on the floor. Picking it up, she slipped her finger down its side, ripping it open. She slipped in her fingers and pulled out a small piece of notebook paper she recognised as being from her favorite notebook. Unfolding it she found scrawled in large letters the words, "I love you."

She turned out the lights, and looked in the closet. She however in all the excitement forgot to get dressed.

Let this be a cautionary tale of the dangers of slipping envelopes under closet doors as it can cause those you love to neglect self care.