Chapter Twenty-One: Woods

Brea wasn't sure exactly where she was, but honestly that night, she couldn't bring herself to care.

After Miranda had left her at the castle Brea had just sat there until it had closed and she'd been asked to leave, feeling to numb to even be embarrassed about that fact.

She had wondered aimlessly after that around the paths that led away from the castle, just thinking about what had been said.

She regretted it all. But that didn't matter now, what had been done had been done and there was no changing that. No matter how much she liked, or even loved Miranda, it couldn't have ever worked out between them for the long term.

After all, what was keeping Brea in Skye now that she didn't have a father to find? Let alone a purpose, or even a single idea what to do with herself now that she'd lost her job back home.

Not that home felt like home much anymore....

But never mind that. The point was that, well that....

Heck, who was she kidding? Brea loved Skye. She loved the people there, and she really, really, reallllly loved Miranda.

Was it too late to tell her and beg for her forgiveness?

Brea didn't know, but she did know that she had messed up badly, and that now she might never have another chance with the woman she loved.

Brea scrunched her hands up in her sweater and knelt on the ground as she tried to catch her breath from the utter pain of it all. Eventually, when she had gathered herself a little she looked around at her surroundings only to realise with a sinking feeling of dread, just how far off the path she had strayed.

She forced herself back up and walked around aimlessly for a while, just hoping that she would find her way back to the path, but when it started to rain and mist began to cloud the forest she simply couldn't will herself to continue.

She had lost her mother, her job and her way. And now, because of her own carelessness she had lost Miranda too.

As Brea crumpled herself into a ball on the floor of the forest that surrounded her, she decidedly gave up. Allowing the woods to swallow her the way that she felt she truly deserved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miranda had walked off in a huff after her and Brea's fight. She had gone straight back to her boat, having recently finished up the painting in the lighthouse, and had angrily hit it, causing her knuckles to bleed.

How could she have been so... so stupid? To think that Brea would be willing to move half way across the world just to continue being with her?

She scoffed at herself.

Of course she wouldn't, she's not crazy.

'Not crazy for me anyway.' She couldn't help but to think.

At the end of the day though, it was her own fault. It was her who allowed Brea to break down her walls, her who allowed herself to fall for a girl more than she ever should have. Miranda should have known that it wouldn't, couldn't last.

She should have known from past experience.

But with Brea.... Everything just changed.

When she walked up to her, Miranda could have sworn that she was a part of the sun with how bright her smile was, and when they kissed and danced, she could have been in a fantasy world. Not to mention the amount she hadn't been able to put her paints down since she had memorised every inch of her beauty.

Miranda groaned as she leant against her boat and sighed.

"Well maybe, if you had been a little bit more courages and actually said what you truly meant to say to her..."

But she didn't finish her sentence as she shook her head.

Even if she had of said it, even if she had admitted just how much Brea had managed to turn her head towards her, just how much she had made her truly love her like no other and never want to let her go... would she even have listened? Would she even have stayed?

Miranda sighed again as she banged her head on her boat.

"Good god Miranda, just woman up already and go find out!!" She told herself crossly as she made to get out of her boat, turned back as if thinking again about what she was about to do, before finally she grabbing her jacket with a sigh and beginning the walk to where Brea had been staying on their little isle of Skye.

But when she got there, knocked on the door and waited with baited breath for it to be answered, she was met with the owner of the bed and breakfast instead.

"Good evening Miranda, off on a night time walk are yer than? Fancy a cuppa tea? I can pop the kettle on." But upon seeing the look of stress and fatigue that showed on Miranda's face, she grew her own look of concern.

"What is it dear?" She asked and Miranda sighed as she tried to muster a smile.

"Thanks for the offer Cindy, but I just really need to talk to Brea, do you know if she's back yet at all?"

The kind older woman shook her head.

"Sadly no dear, she left early this morning and hasn't been back since. Looking at the time I'd thought she'd stayed with you, being the sweet love birds that yer are." She replied as she gave Miranda a knowing look, causing the younger to turn a little red as she cleared her throat.

"Ah- well we actually had a bit of a tiff so... I wanted to speak with her and apologise and see if..."

Cindy nodded her understanding.

"Well do come in dear, you can tell me all about it while we wait for her to come back. I'll put the kettle on." She insisted and Miranda sighed as she followed her inside of the cottage style dwelling and accepted to warm cup of tea that had been offered.

"Now tell me Miranda, what happened between the two of you?" Cindy asked as Miranda sighed and began to tell her everything.