Chapter Nineteen: Lullabies

After Brea had been comforted by her friends, she decided to take a walk around town to get some fresh air. Not really knowing exactly where she was planning to go, she simply let herself wander.

It was a sound however that had drawn her to follow a slightly more determined path and as she got closer to it, she began to realise what it was.

It was that song again!

The one that her mother had used to sing to her as she fell asleep at night, and it was coming from a little cottage up the road a ways.

Brea simply couldn't resist the temptation this time to follow the music towards the cottage to see who it was that it came from. It was, after all, still only three o'clock in the afternoon so the likelihood of finding danger would be much lower than the last time she'd been this curious. So what harm could it possibly do to just have a quick look?

As she got closer the music became louder, Brea noticed that the person who was singing it had a very strong Scottish accent. One that she felt she had heard before somewhere.

"Hello." She greeted when she had arrived at the cottage and saw the man tinkering away on something in his backyard, and when he turned towards her Brea finally realised who it was.

"Oh it's you again, hello!" She greeted politely with a big smile. The scruffy looking man smiled a little and scratched at his neck awkwardly.

"Hi, what's brought yer to this neck of the woods?" He asked.

"Just on a nice walk around the town. Heard music and followed it here. My mother used to sing me that song!" Brea replied and the man nodded.

"Tis an old Scottish lullaby. My parents sang it to me, and their parents to them as well. Do yer fancy a cup of tea?"

Brea nodded eagerly, hoping that she might this time be able to hear some of the older man's stories.

She thanked him gratefully as he lead her inside the cottage. It was an adorable little place that was filled with warmth from the fire that still burned in the fireplace. From the way it had been constructed Brea could tell that it must have been one of the heritage buildings in the town. Their was a little wooden table and chairs that had seamed to be handmade, and a cute little kitchen with wooden cabinets of the same style as the table.

When Brea heard the kettle steam, the older man delivered their tea and sat down.

"You know, I never did get your name." Brea started their conversation up again.

The man laughed at that.

"Yer right, sorry where's my manners. It's Hamish, Hamish, Eike."

Brea smiled in response.

"And my names Brea. It's nice to meet you Hamish." She said as she shook his hand.

"So, how's the writing coming along?" He asked.

"It's coming along a little better now. I'm currently working on a romance set here in Skye." The man nodded.

"This place does certainly inspire doesn't it?" Brea grinned as she nodded her agreement.

"What about yours?" She asked and the man scratched at his neck awkwardly once again, a trait that he seamed to have a tendency of doing.

"Er, well I don't really write much anymore. Just don't feel like there's much of a point to it."

Brea frowned at that and nodded.

"Well, I'm sure your writing is amazing, and if you ever feel up to it, I'd love to hear it some day." The scruffy man chuckled in response.