It's Been Months

Trudging down to my father's office, I dreaded what he would want to tell me, what new chore I had or what new skill he wanted me to practice, it had been two months since I had discovered my powers; since Connie arrived and since Julietta had left. 

" Are you well, Father?" I asked him, perhaps if I was nice to him he'd try and soften the blow of whatever bad news he was about to give me.

" I have good news and bad news for both of you." Both? Turning to my left I saw Julian leaning in the corner of the room. Over the past two months myself and Julian had reconnected, although he had no idea about Stephan, nor did my parents and I was planning on keeping it that way.  " Your brother in law has been taken ill. Your sister is having an extremely difficult time. I'm sending both of you to see her. You leave tomorrow at midnight." He smiled...my father smiled at us.

" Do you not need us here? To help with...well the 'Connie problem'." Julian asked. Connie had been giving us extremely detailed plans about his...compound (as she called it). Connie was under the impression that he  would want to strike soon, but it had been two months and they hadn't even heard from him, although Connie's...well my human relatives had written some-coded-letters. Together with my father and Julian, we had managed to decode the letters. Of course my father had used this as another way to test my powers, he liked to push me to the very limit.

We had, due to my father's lessons, discovered that I could: read the minds of others; projects my own thoughts onto others and, given enough time, move objects with my mind-among other insignificant skills.

" You aren't needed here. You will be safer with the Cassidys. Their castles are well protected." My father replied.

" They are well protected because the Cassidys have no compassion for other people." I muttered, I heard my brother grunt in agreement.

I was shocked when my brother voiced his agreement. " I can't believe you sent Julietta there in the first place. She wasn't ready for a commitment like that and you know it, she's still a child."

" Maybe you are resenting the fact that your sister was mature enough to accept the arrangement I made for her!" My father shouted. We hadn't spoken about this in years, my brother, at the age of fifteen was engaged to marry a Cassidy, but broke off the engagement, she was twenty one at the time. My father never forgave him and in an attempt to keep the peace, Julian became quiet, dyed his hair and started doing exactly what my father told him to do.

" I broke it off because she was too mature! Even you must have heard the stories about her! You should be thanking me for preventing her from being associated with this family!" Julian yelled back. I took a seat at my father's desk, content to watch the drama unfold for a change.

" It was a union that could have strengthened this families standing within our entire community! It's just a shame that the two of you left the honour to your baby sister." My father shouted in response. My mouth fell open in shock, as though myself and Julian had forced Julietta to marry Tommy.

" Is there anyway we could leave earlier?" I asked, before adding, " If not I may end up committing a crime, Father."