Dabi's dream

Winters were cold and pale; what once was a lush lawn of clovers and beds of vegetable crops and fruits were now covered in inches of layers of cold snow. Animals took shelter in their own little homes, abundant in resources that they had worked so hard to gather before the season started just so they wouldn't starve and freeze to death.

Dabi gazed from the kitchen's window, rubber gloves in hand as he absentmindedly rinsed the dishes previously covered in thick, foamy soap. Metal collided with porcelain, creating the occassional 'clangs' as he rummaged through the sink to collect all the chopsticks and rinse them all at once. He hummed along to Lana Del Rey.

Footsteps quickly descended the stairs behind him; Dabi didn't need to look to know who it was.

"Morning, pa!"

Dabi smiled when he felt the quick peck on his cheek, but had suddenly let out a short and suprised 'ah!' when he felt a thick, wet slobber before a pitchy bark resonated within the room.

He looks to his left to see a grinning black and white haired teen holding up a happily shaking chihuahua, and he couldn't bring himself to be upset. He merely shook his head and continued on with washing the dishes. "Good morning, Satomi and... Kurima."

An involuntary snort came out his thoat.

Satomi frowned at him. "PAPA!"

"To be fair!-" Dabi raised his hand, accidentally splashing both his daughter and the dog with soap, "'Kurima' is a ridiculous name."

Satomi pouted at him, scruncing her brows together before turning around and marching towards the dining table nearby. "Well, I think it's cute and suits her well- doesn't it, Kurima?!"

Dabi rolled his eyes, though the little smile on his lips were ever so still prominent. "Eat your breakfast; you'll be late to your first day of school."

Satomi placed Kurima down and quickly began to scarf on the onigiri (her favorite snack) on the table. It barely took 3 minutes before she was back on her feet and running back up the stairs to get her bag.

Dabi was done with the dishes once she came back down, taking off the gloves from his hands before kissing Satomi on the crown of her head. He looks at her from top to bottom, eyes full of a father's love– almost tearing up at seeing how his beloved daughter was all grown up now.

"Paaaa..!" Satomi whined with a smile, giggling a little when her dad couldn't hold in a little sniff.

"You really wanna be a hero, huh?" Dabi sighed as he fixed the creases on Satomi's uniform– a grey blazer with a green skirt.

Satomi showed a smile, albeit sullen as her golden eyes stared down at the floor. She felt guilty in a way... it felt like she was betraying her father and their past– the past that, despite it being not the best of conditions for a child, led them to meet and be where they are now.

"I kind of want to know the world my biological parents used to live in..." She muttered, "...and study about society– both of it's worlds."

"You don't have to explain yourself, Sami." Dabi chuckled, patting her head to ease her from her self-guilt. "If this is what you really want, then go and do it. I'll always be here to support you..... if it makes you feel better, I wanted to be a hero, too."

"Really?" Satomi looks at him, eyes shining with curiousity and suprise. She furrowed her brows, "So, how'd you end up with uncle Shiggy back then?"

Dabi could only shrug his shoulders as a response. He smiled at his daughter before patting her head, "Long story. Get going now‐ you're gonna be late."

The teen merely smiled back, "Bye, pa."

...

"How's Touya?"

Porcelain teacups clinked as tiny, metal spoons stirred the piping hot tea it carried. Sharp, turquoise eyes looked down at the grunge-looking teenager– her black and white hair was what gave the towering man that kind of impression on her but, as well as he knew the girl, was actually more of a classicism type.

Satomi looks up at her non-blood-related grandfather, a small smile adorning her porcelain doll-like face. People around her had mixed feelings of her appearance– some said it was unique and actually pretty, whilst others described it to be creepy and off-putting.

"He's doing well." She replied, "He still has no clue of us secretly meeting like this."

Enji looks down at his cold tea, arms crossed as he thought for a moment. He sighed. "He's bound to find out eventually... i'm just thankful you were there for him when his own family couldn't."

"He raised me; it's the least I could do for him now that i'm grown." Satomi muttered. Her hands clasped around the teacup, completely unfazed of the burning sensation on her palms– rather, finding it comforting. "Enough about him.... I want to know about the details of our plan."

Enji sighed. He uncrossed his arms and began to dig through the bag that he brought with him before pulling out a thick pile of papers and documents and putting them down on the table. He looks at Satomi with a frown. "Are you sure about this?"

"Yes." Satomi puts down her cup before pulling the papers closer to her and skimming through it. Enji could only watch in silence in pain.

She scoffed, "Killed my parents? And you raised me like you didn't do anything wrong?"

"I'm only doing this because you deserve the right to know about your real parents..." Enji muttered, slowly starting to feel regret of ever taking out those papers the more frantic the young girl was with her flipping.

"I hate him." Satomi laughed.

Enji gulped and could only watch in silence as she screamed and ripped all of the documents to shreads right in front of him. All that hidden resentment of hers finally came to the surface and showed how it really really felt.

Satomi didn't actually find Dabi as her father– but rathed kept up the facade as her means to survive. If he wasn't going to raise her, who will? Dabi killed her family, and she was going to kill him too—

...

Dabi's eyes snapped open.

It took a moment for his brain to lose it's fogginess and his senses to come back to him. Once they did, he could hear the faint voice of twilight sparkles on the tv in front of him.

He looks to his right, his eyes immediately landing on the child on the floor who had her back on him, completely immersed with the show playing on the tv. He kept quiet.

It was just a dream.

Dabi realized.

But why did it felt so real?

The child on the floor turns around, her golden eyes shining with the tv's luminescence in the background.

Gold locked with turquoise.

Satomi stares at her father for a moment with what Dabi took as an emotionless stare before her eyes suddenly had that usual curiousity and shine. In that situation, she was confused when she saw the little trickle of blood seeping from the corners of his eyes. She asked,

"Dadi?"

--------------

Any Dad Dabi headcanons you guys have that I could possibly add to this story:0? Feel free to share them!<3

I already have an official appearance for Satomi, but haven't really gotten the chance to actually draw it... hopefully I can show it the next time I update this story heheherhhrhrhrhrf