Testing Limits

Bradley and Olivia were up at five am the next morning and were getting ready for their morning run

Bradley and Olivia were up at five am the next morning and were getting ready for their morning run. Olivia came walked out of the bedroom sporting black running leggings, grey and luminous yellow sports bra and white and luminous yellow trainers. Her hair was pulled into a messy ponytail. "Bradley, have you seen my running shirt?" She asked as she walked into the kitchen. "Could still be packed. Try my bag. I put some of your clothes in there." He said as he walked into the kitchen, giving her hips a squeeze as he walked past. She walked over to the unopened duffle bag sat on the couch and began to dig through it before pulling out a white vest top. She pulled it over her head and finished tying her laces before Bradley walked over to her with her phone and earphones. They walked out of the house and stretched before they took off running. Music from their shared playlist blaring through their earphones before they began to make a race out of it on the way back to their house. Bradley and Olivia were laughing as they reached the front door. After showering and dressing for the day, climbed into the Bronco and headed to base. Olivia pressed a kiss to his lips before walking towards Phoenix after getting her flight suit from her locker. After everyone had changed into their flight suits, they walked into the hangar bay where tables and a podium had been set up. Olivia took a seat by herself, with her being a solo pilot, Bradley sitting directly behind her. It wasn't long before the female officer stood by the door of the hangar called out, "Attention on deck!" Every pilot that had been called back immediately stood up with their arms by their sides and looked directly ahead of them as the commanding officers walked into the hangar. An admiral stood at the front of the room, behind the podium. "Morning. Welcome to you special training detachment. Be seated." The Admiral stated before waiting for the pilots to sit down. Olivia leaned back in her chair, slightly relaxed as she listened to the man speak. "I'm Admiral Bates, NAWDC Commander. You're all Top Gun graduates. The elite. The best of the best. That was yesterday. The enemy's new fifth generation fighter has levelled the playing field. Details are few, but you can be sure, we no longer hold the technological advantage. Success, now more than ever, comes down to the man or woman in the box." Admiral Bates told them. Hangman turned to grin at Phoenix, who slyly gave him the finger before he turned to smirk at Olivia and Bradley. "Half of you will make the cut. One of you will be named mission leader. The other half will remain in reserve. Your instructor is a Top Gun graduate with real-world experience in every mission aspect you will be expected to master. His exploits are legendary. And he's considered to be one of the finest pilots this program has ever produced. What he has to teach you may very well mean the difference between life and death." Admiral Bates continued. Olivia watched as Jake turned to look at the man walking up the centre of the make-shift classroom before he turned back around with a deep sigh and pressing his thumb and index finger to the bridge of his nose. She glanced back to Bradley in confusion before turning back to the front as Admiral Bates introduced their instructor, "I give you Captain Pete Mitchell. Call sign: Maverick." Admiral Bates moved from the podium as the man in question took his place and looked around the room. His eyes focused on his daughter and his late best friend's son, both of whom gave him a hard stare before looking away. Bradley looked to his left while Olivia looked down at her hands that rested on the table while Phoenix and Hangman turned to look at the girl, confusion written on their faces as their friend and their instructor had the same last name. "Good Morning." Maverick greeted the group as he held up a thick book which every pilot in the room knew cover to cover. "The F18 NATOPS. It contains everything they want you to know about your aircraft. I'm assuming you know the book inside and out." He said as he moved to stand next to the podium. "Damn right." Payback stated followed another pilot saying, "You got it." Jake spoke up from his seat at the front of the room, "Damn straight." The pilots watched as Maverick dropped the thick stack of papers into a trash can sitting on the floor next to the podium. The smiles dropped from the groups faces and confusion made an appearance as Maverick continued, "So does your enemy. But what your enemy doesn't know is your limits. I intend to find them, test them, push beyond. Today we'll start with what you only think you know. You show me what you're made of." He stated, his eyes focused on the two solo pilots sat at the back of the room.