Chapter 6: Gaz

Gaz's POV

Reyes and I had volunteered to make dinner that night but after a few hours we were just waiting around for the food to finish. Reyes had pulled out some history book and was leaning against the wall in his chair completely invested in whatever he was reading. Since our base was large enough we had two kitchens with this one being more a suited to cooking rather than a lounge like the other one. I didn't have much to do since my phone was charging back in my room but as soon as the boredom had entered my mind it was immediately washed away when y/n walked in.

"Hey have you all seen Price I can't find him anywhere?" He asked.

"No, he probably went to go file some last minute paperwork or something." I replied.

"Ah gotcha. So what are you two up to?"

"Foods cooking we are making sure it doesn't burn." Reyes answered not looking up from his book.

"Actually I was kind of hoping we would talk captain?" I asked standing walking over to the door. Reyes just gave me a thumbs up and y/n nodded as we walked out slowly making our way down the hall and towards the bedrooms.

"So what's on your mind Gaz?" He asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Well I wanted to ask about Captain Price actually. I know you and he are close and well...he and I kind of have a similar relationship so I just wondered if you had any advice or anything?"

He just looked up at me and smiled, we continued to walk down the hall eventually reaching his room. I walked in sitting in the desk chair as he sat on his bed taking off the Santa hat Soap had given him. I didn't know anything about y/n besides he was a captain of another squad and important to Price. He seemed like a good soldier and dedicated leader but he was still kind of a mystery.

"Price and I worked together for about 9 years along with the rest of Delta Squad. We hunted down high value targets all around the world often times getting into trouble but Price always got us out. He made sure I learned from both failures and successes, that was important to him." Y/n stated leaning back on his elbows.

"I know what you mean the captain seems to always teach me something after every mission. He's a good leader but I worry about him sometimes."

"Don't tell him I said this but he isn't exactly a young guy anymore and after the loss of our old squad I think he became more protective of you all. He is definitely a good leader but I get what you mean about being worried about him, sometimes we take more damage on the inside than the outside." Y/n answered.

"Who were these guys who you two used to work with?" I asked. Price had never brought it up before so I figured I should ask the other captain so I wouldn't have to open an old wound for Price and y/n seemed more open to talking about it.

"They were similar to 141 actually, Longshot was our sniper often times saving my ass from getting snuck up on. She was a good friend and strategist to always trying to find a logical solution to our problems, also a good person to vent to. She died on board a small naval vessel off the coast of France, a RPG blew up the bridge where she was directing us from killing her and most of the crew. Roach never talked much but he was always there when we needed him. A good soldier and friend to me, often times we got assigned to scout ahead together when I wasn't partnered with Chimera. He took a bullet between the eyes after he slipped off a roof and almost made it to the helicopter. Chimera he was....more than a friend to me and a trusted member of the team, pretty deadly with a knife often times getting a little too close to his opponents but always getting the job done. I think what drew me to him was his caring personality despite his sometimes brutal nature in the field, he made sure the team was okay and always carried out Price's orders perfectly. He went missing after we got separated and we were forced to retreat, I don't think he could have held off the amount of enemies that swarmed the position. Probably shot him on sight because we never heard from him again."