seven.

note: you know, i came up with over 5 different genshin plotlines over the course of playing the game--i wanted to post one for that fandom first, but realized making a canon compliant work would be difficult to maintain, considering how far the main storyline has progressed. not to mention the other quests and events...

Gojo arrives 15 minutes past nine, which is miraculous, if you consider all the other times he's shown up to a meeting.

He skids to a halt in front of you, lips stretched to a smile.

"[Name]-san!"

You grimace.

"...Gojo-sensei."

So grumpy, he thinks. "A smile once in a while won't hurt."

You do smile–just not when he's present.

"Right." you drawl, facing away from him. "Where's this weapon you were talking about?" you figured that the school has a hidden stash of them: it's the base of operations for a lot of sorcerers, after all.

He pouts at your ignorance at his attempt to lighten up the mood.

"Straight to the point as always," he mumbles. Straightening his back, he begins walking to a certain direction, beckoning you to follow. "Come on, then."

He leads you outside, and you take a deep breath, appreciating the crisp morning air; one of the perks of being in a more remote, elevated area, you suppose.

You pass by one of the school's many training grounds, including the one where the first-years had been sparring the day before, and you are reminded of a question that has been lingering at the back of your mind.

"Sensei."

"Yeah?"

"You said we're going straight to Maki after this, right?"

Silence.

"...Did I say that?"

"You did."

"Hm. Well then," he attempts to end the conversation, "there's been a change of plans!"

Narrowing your eyes, you ask, "...why?"

Truth to be told, you had no reason to ask him: Ieiri has informed you of what happened.

You just want to hear it from him.

"Maki is..." he trails off.

"How do I put this... not feeling well–"

"I know she got admitted to a hospital, having suffered injuries from fighting against a curse way above her grade, on a mission that you assigned her to." you cut him off. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

"You know," you start, "Ieiri told me that you can do just about anything you try, so you never really try doing anything. That being said, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should, cause while anyone can be a teacher..."

Your eyes, which has been watching the surrounding scenery, lock on to the back of Gojo's head.

"...not everyone can be a good one."

Unexpectedly, he halts in place, though you remain unfazed, following in his steps.

"Knowing you though, you're most likely going to ignore everything I just said–and that's fine with me."

You had started this entire thing being fully aware of his habit of dismissing things.

"But one day, one of us is going to die," you state, taking a few steps forward, past where he's standing. Once you've created some distance, you turn to face him.