Thing 5: Cling To Their Old Friends

Carly is really into this transformation thing, although she doesn't call it that. She calls it Awakening of the Butterfly.

Our HBCU is bumping today, I don't know why...maybe it's because black people always feel like jigging but for whatever the reason the Greeks are hot as fire. You got the Alphas out there in their line jackets because it's cold as heck doing their monkey stamps and 'ooh-ooh ahhing'. Then you got the Omegas doing their Q-Dog thing and barking at ladies as they jump and twirl around to their time old theme song. And then you got the Sigmas, oh those lovely sigmas stomping on the beat like a motha-fuggin sigma. Let's not forget our pretty boys, the Cappa boys doing their pretty boy stroll and whatnot because they just know that they are fi-yah.

And the AKA's are looking so pretty and saddity and fair-skinned in their lovely pink and green holding it down for their frat counterparts the gold and black alphas. The Zetas looking studious and beautiful in their blue hold the wall and clap as their own counterpart, the sigmas whoop for their ladies in blue. But oh boy, those Delta's, crimson and red hold their head up high because their counterparts(the omegas) foolish barking aint gonna get to them.

Carly folds her arms and crosses one leather clad leg over the other. She points at the group of men in blue doing their stroll, "You're gonna flirt with one of them."

I shift uncomfortably on this cold bench, it's cold as hell seriously and these gloves are itching my fingers and this wool scarf is itching the hell out of my neck, "No way."

"Yes," Carly readjusts her black pea-coat and grins, "Yes way. This would be perfect Sarah."

Oh God...no. I just can't.

I readjust my own coat and snuggle in it's warmth, "I can't Carly. I mean look at them. look."

What I mean is I'm out of my league seriously. Sigmas don't talk to girls like me. I'm cute yeah...but i'm hippy and dorky...in a cute way yah but c'mon. Sigmas are cool...i mean any of the Divine 9 are cool.

"Yeah look," She gives me a one over and laughs, "What you think you're ugly? Sarah, we aint got time for that today. You're beautiful, you're smart and you're going to move that little tush and talk to one of those sigmas."

But I can't. Good lord I can't and the early February wind is absolutely agreeing with me right now. It understands my pain and it whirls and whirls until theirs a woo-woo whistling going around.

"I can't," and this is where things get hard because I have to admit that I have a problem.

I take a deep breath and focus on the figures moving, "My confidence isn't...."

"Say no more," Carly cuts in and grabs my hand, "We're going to fix that. Before this week is over, no before this day is over you're going to be so confident you're going to be the cockiest chick on this campus. No friend of mine is going out like that."

"Where are we going?" She drops my hand but walks in the opposite direction of the Sigmas, far away like we're about to go to the parking garage.

Carly gives me a smile and pats me on the shoulder, "We're going to make you a lot more social."

"How?" I try my best to keep up but those long legs of hers are moving so fast.

"You're going to make a couple of new friends today. And you don't have to worry about them ditching you either because ta-da they are just as single as us."

Hmm. Upside.

Well, let's do it.