Chapter 17

Everyone says Wednesday is great because it's the middle of the weekdays. I couldn't disagree more. Wednesday means bible study for my parents- the one for the adults anyway. I've convinced my parents that I don't need to attend the Thursday one's by saying I want to save my praise for our savior in church. They were happy with that answer, and thus let it go. That doesn't mean they were suddenly all chipper. It was the complete opposite. Wednesday's are hound days. I'm the meat and, my parents, the hounds.

I'm laying on one of the many couches in the living room, my mind blank and paying zero attention to the show I put on. Madaline would like it. It's Law and Order: SVU. My eyes stare at Olivia Benson when suddenly they're staring at my mom's stomach. I glance up to see her and my dad peering back down at me. Instantly, I know I'm about to hear something that I don't like. Wednesday is also lecture day, and boy am I lucky to be the lectured. My mom clears her throat when no one speaks, so I grab the remote and pause the show.

"Can we talk, honey? It won't be long," my mom speaks sweetly to me. I'd prefer if she talked after my dad, to soothe the burn of his words. I nod which makes her smile and look at my dad. They probably argued about how to approach me, and I can't tell who won.

My dad crosses his arms while looking directly at me. Eye contact is an important thing to him. I can never maintain it when his harsh, brown eyes look like they're staring into my soul. It's quiet again and I slowly look to my mom with my eyebrows raised. Her smile slightly falters but it's back into place when my dad gets his wordings together.

"The girl that dropped you off the other night- that wasn't Madaline nor her parents. Who was she?"

Of course. I'm an idiot for thinking they'd just let it go. For thinking my dad would let it go. His question gets me to sit up with an innocent expression displayed mixed with confusion. A lie is on the edge of my tongue as I look between my parents.

"It's Madaline's friend. She invited us to a skating rink and we thought it'd be fun. Is that okay?"

My dad grunts, his disapproval still showing. "I'll have to talk to her parents about that. I don't want you out with her and if that means no Madaline, so be it."

My mouth drops open in disbelief, and I look to my mom for help. She looks at me sadly, her own arms crossed loosely against her body. I sigh and look to my dad.

"I will keep you in this house if you don't get your friends together, Nolan. Do not push me."

"But, I'm going on another date with Julie! Is she not a good friend?" I blurt out false information.

I didn't plan on going on another date. Not with Julie. My parents look shocked, obviously stumped by my untrue confession. Though I know I got them. Julie is their lifeline and I feel terrible for using her in this moment. I'll make it up to her. She doesn't deserve to be in the middle of my parents fantasies. My mom is the first to speak. My dad seems to be still processing. I hope he processes forever.

"When?" she asks.

"Today? If that's okay. I know you recently came back from Bible study, and may not feel like taking me anywhere..."

My mom snaps her head to my dad, silently telling him that not taking me isn't an option. They agree to take me wherever I want to go. I nod in fake excitement before making up the excuse that I have to call Julie. Well, I do have to call her, but first, Madaline. She's probably having a mini church session with her own parents, so I'll opt with texting her. I make it to my room and stand by my bed, too distracted to actually sit on it.

Me: Maddy...

It takes a couple minutes before I see the three dots appear, indicating that she's typing.