Chapter 7

"Tell me everything. Everything, Nolan!" Madaline screams, into my ear.

Once she saw Scarlette in the driver's side of the car last night, she's been bugging me about it. Apparently, Scarlette driving me around is a sure sign that she's obtaining feelings for me. I don't believe it for a second. Scarlette was just being a good friend.

"Madaline, I told you everything. What are you expecting me to say?"

"Uh, that you two had a great time, realized your love, and are now a couple!" she goes on, and on. I ignore her, and focus on making us lunch. Madaline's parents forgot to leave money on the counter, like they said they would, so now I'm making us chicken sandwiches. Madaline is focusing on her fruit plate, like she's been wanting to since forever.

"Well, that didn't happen. Sorry to burst your sweet bubble."

Madaline throws a grape at me as I turn around, our sandwiches in my hand. She throws another one when the first one misses me. The second one misses also, resulting in her throwing a piece of watermelon. I don't think changing the fruit would matter, but I'll let her have her moment. I stand still, so the watermelon had a better chance of hitting me, but no that missed me too. Madaline slumps back in her seat, a smile now on her face at the sight of her chicken sandwich.

"Once we're done with this, you want to go to the skate park? I have some time before I have to go home, and study," I ask, Madaline, already taking a big bite out of my sandwich.

"Sure, I've been wanting to practice some new tricks on my skateboard," she answers, moving her fruit to the side.

She brings her sandwich closer to her, admiring the chicken like a love-sick puppy. I pick off a piece of chicken from my own sandwich and throw it at her.

"Stop trying to make love with it, and eat it."

"You have to admire it before it meets the big, black hole called my stomach," Madaline answers, drool practically coming from her mouth. She said that about every piece of food that was bound to be eaten by her. I rush her to eat it after her admiration takes more than ten minutes.

We end up walking to the park that's nearby, Madaline carrying her skateboard, and me teasing her about how she fell on her butt the last time we were here. Going to this park here and there is a normal thing for us; it's something we do when we just want to laugh at each other. I usually end up laughing at Madaline more, but that's mainly because I refuse to get on that death machine she calls a skateboard.

"You participated in a car race, but refuse to try my skateboard!?" Madaline screeches, pure shock coating her features.

On the way to the park I opened up a bit about what happened with Scarlette and I. It was mostly oohs and aahs from Madaline's side, but she hung onto my every word. She was still convinced that Scarlette and I's friendship would turn into something more which confuses me.

We were newly formed friends, and I've never been in a relationship before. Scarlette would want someone with experience at these things. That's something I clearly don't have. I didn't even know what she meant by 'chilling!' How embarrassing.

"Wait, who's that?" Madaline stops me as we enter the park. There's not many people, which isn't too surprising. The park is quite empty unless there's an event going on. Skating competitions, eating competitions, and more things like that.

"Who?"

"Right there!" she whisper-yells, her eyes looking in a specific direction.

My eyes trail over to a guy smoking a cigarette while flipping a skateboard with his feet. I look at him for a couple more seconds before humming, not really knowing who it is. Madaline nudges me hard in the side. My loud wince does nothing as she almost does it again. Why are we friends when all you do is injure me?!