Chapter 13

Most teenage kids get home and grab snacks after school or take a nap, or do homework. Something like that. Not me. I'm getting dragged off somewhere by my parents who care nothing about how I've endured six hours of school. They bombarded me when I walked through the door and told me to dress more appropriately because we're going out. I stood in my room for ten minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with my current outfit instead. After coming up with the conclusion that my outfit is fine, I change into a different sweater and brush my hair.

I leave my bookbag by my bed and only take my phone. My parents seem satisfied with my current wear and drag me out of the house, saying we're going to be late. I don't share their concern because I have no idea where we're going. Not that I care. I could've been with my friends. I still want to be with them. I'll never say that to my parents though, especially my dad. He hates when I complain and always shuts me down before I could say why I was complaining.

In the back of the car, I lean my head against the window as silence fully engulfs us. It's almost always uncomfortable being in the car with them because we never have any real conversations and music is never played. It's a distraction, my dad says. More like depressing, but I wouldn't say that to him either.

"Why the long face, honey? Did you have plans?" my mom asks from her spot in the passenger seat. I shake my head in response, my eyes locked on the passing scenery.

"Are you associating with the right people?" my dad pesters, his dark eyes glancing at me from the small mirror hanging in front of him.

"I am," I defend without saying any names.

"Who?" he fires back.

"Madaline," I say in a sort of mumble, "Julie too. She just transferred."

My mom gets excited at the idea of Julie and I talking. She clapped her hands and squealed like a high school girl that got a love letter from her crush. My dad, always the stern one, just nods. Guess he's happy with my answer. I, on the other hand, feel worse. I didn't mention Jackson or Scarlette at all. My dad wouldn't approve of them. He already doesn't like the piercings Jackson wears; what if knew that he skipped, cursed, smoked? Scarlette too. He'd never let me see them, let alone associate with them.

I wring my hands together in worry. He could do that if he wanted. Stopped me from seeing them. He's done it before with my last best friend, Charlie. Him, Maddy, and I were the original group of bandits- at least that's what we called ourselves. Dad liked him, and invited him over for many family dinners. Charlie was like the son he's always wanted but never got. Sure, it upset me at first when dad wanted Charlie, Charlie, Charlie and not his own son. Charlie was my best friend though and I couldn't be mad at him.

How I felt about it all didn't matter later because my dad found out Charlie had two tattoos and he smoked on some days. My dad found it unforgivable and told Charlie to stay away from me before he ruined me. It didn't matter that the tattoos represented peace and equality and his smoking habits only appeared when he was super stressed. Dad wanted to hear none of it. And a week later, Charlie was cut out of my life. No more hanging out, no more talking, nothing.

I hum when my mom calls me and she lets me know that we've reached our destination. We were here for a couple minutes, but I was so spaced out that I didn't even notice. I get out of the car and my dad locks the door behind me. We walk into a neat restaurant that has half of the lights dimmed with soft music playing. It gives off a calm vibe. I like it. My parents lead me to a table near the back and I can see Julie sitting down from a couple feet away. What is she doing here? What am I doing here?

Julie's mom gets up from the seat and shakes my parents hands before turning to me with a smile. I nod at her and side hug Julie who also stood up to hug my parents. We sit down around the table, the parents on one side with Julie and I on the other.

"Did you know my Nolan and your Julie already hang out?" my mom gushes to Julie's mom. Julie's mom nods and they dive into conversation on how we'd make a 'cute pairing'.

I turn to Julie who looks as embarrassed as I feel. "So your mom is like this too?"

"Yeah..." she nods slowly, "she's obsessed with finding me a perfect match. She's already thinking about my marriage."

"Wow. I don't think my parents would go that far," I shiver at the thought which gets Julie to laugh. I smile and our parents just happened to see. My dad nods proudly while our moms wipe fake tears from under their eyes. Okay... "Want to get a soda?"

Julie nods and we leave the table, also leaving the eyes of the praying mantis that comes in three. We talk while filling up a glass cup of soda when my phone starts to ring. Its the groupchat. Julie isn't in it yet, so her phone stayed silent. I pass her my soda, saying that I'd be back and she nods before taking both our drinks back to the table. I slip into the men's bathroom and answer the call.

"Are you dying yet?" Madaline's voice is the first one I hear.

"Not yet. Julie is here," I say into the phone. They knew I was going out with my parents, but seeing Julie was totally unplanned. Or so I thought.

"Your parents trying to set you up?" This time it's Jackson.

"I think so."

"Don't forget to kiss her goodbye when you leave, Nol." Scarlette. Her tone was teasing, but she also sounded a bit upset. Maybe school bombed her out. It sure did tire me out.

"Get away from my food," I hear Jackson say, imagining the scowl on his face as he talks to Scarlette. It goes on for a few minutes before I interrupt them.

"I have to go. My parents won't like that I'm gone for too long," I say before hanging up with a goodbye. I wash my hands and leave the restroom with kinda wet hands to make it seem like I actually used it.

When I get back to the table, all the parents are smiling and Julie is hiding her head in her hands. The tips of her ears are bright red as I sit next to her and get my soda.

"What's wrong?"

She looks up at the sound of my voice and blushes again, but much deeper this time. I wait for her to say something as I sip my cold drink.

"We're going on a date."

I choke on my drink and pound my chest. Julie rubs my back and I look at her to make sure I heard right. "What?"

"Yeah, our parents planned it," she looks away from me, avoiding eye contact, or any contact really. I look at my parents for clarification and they nod happily. My wide eyes stare down at my soda in disbelief. I blink once. Twice.

"We're going on a date," I whisper.