Chapter 21 - Memories

Author's Note: I know this is quite fast-paced, but I really think it's time to pick up the pace. :)

~ Rivana Rita

Rex is definitely a little surprised when General Skywalker arrives at his quarters on the cruiser in the middle of the night. They're up at all hours, even if they try not to be, because of the war. It's a given. Rex occasionally misses the proper sleeping hours on Kamino, but they knew this would be a problem. "I don't want to ask this right now," General Skywalker says, arms crossed. He's visibly upset about something, and Rex finds himself wanting to ask about it. They haven't seen one another since they parted at the Malevolence, and he's just relieved to see that his general is back. "But I... have something to attend to. Can you cover for me?"

"Of course," he replies automatically. He wants details, but he won't ask.

"Thank you, Rex. I'll be gone for about, two days? It's a bit... off the scopes, so I don't want word to get out. I will have to ask Ahsoka as well, but I need to go somewhere. I will be gone no more than two days. Perhaps less."

"I saw your recording," Rex admits finally, "I am... grateful to hear that." His general called him his friend, and for the clones, that means a lot. Anakin has always been loyal to him, and that is something they all look up to.

He smiles, almost shyly. "You deserve that, Rex. You helped me when no one else did. I know I speak of the future, but I cannot forget all that you did for me."

"I have seen how you care for all of us," Rex offers awkwardly, "We are all grateful for it."

"I know you are," his general replies with a nod, "I will... borrow a shuttle, and Artoo, and I'll be back in two days' time."

"Where are you going, if I may ask?"

"I have to talk to someone I met in the future. It's... complicated." General Skywalker smiles mirthlessly. "You wouldn't believe it if I told you."

He thinks he'll just take it as that, considering Rex took the whole time-travel thing perfectly in stride. That was a bit... extreme, to say the least. If he was fine with that, he doesn't want to know what it is his general is doing now. "Good luck," he offers instead.

"Thank you again," Anakin says with a nod.

***

Anakin calls Padme to tell her that – predictably – he's going to be otherwise occupied tomorrow night also, which neither of them are remotely happy about before he settles back in his shuttle to meditate. He doesn't even feel like he should, like he doesn't have the right to feel calm anymore.

He's the creation of a Sith. He has no idea what that means for him and for everything. Sidious wasn't wrong, but Anakin can't believe that everything he's worked for was pointless. He gave his life to the Jedi. How could that be for nothing?

He can only hope the Ones will provide some answers, though he's very wary at going to Mortis again. Mortis never brings good memories. A lot happened there. And hopefully, no one will miss him when he's gone.

He turns his focus to some of the mechanics he's been working on – he's irritated they were all unmade in his time-travel, which is also what he has a lot of questions about – and that is... hopeful. Artoo is much better company than most people, and that's plenty to occupy him in the hyperspace time.

That doesn't make him much less wary as he exits hyperspace at the coordinates he almost wishes he didn't remember and just waits. There's nothing there, but Anakin remembers there wasn't last time either. The ship shudders though, and Anakin settles back, trying to draw the Force into himself to quell his anxiety as the strange white light appears through the darkness of space.