The Beauty Queen - Chapter 24

Happy Easter, everybody! :D

You're probably thinking, "She really does have no life. She's uploading on Easter." Weeeell, I have a life. :P It's just that my brother has stuff planned, so we can't really go anywhere as a family. >.> He's breaking our Easter tradition of doing family junk.

But I went to iHop this morning. 'Nuff said. :3

<><><>

Chapter 24

The contestants filed into a single line. I stayed behind Katy, not wanting to feel alone somewhere in the back. Well, we are in the back, but we're in the back together. I guess it's slightly better.

The only weird thing is, Krista purposely moved to the back with us. So that meant her other cohorts had to migrate with her. The silence that was there before suddenly turned into the clicking of a thousand heels, all of them moving behind us. I felt myself get suspicious. Especially when I was left to be first in line. I winced.

What did Krista do?

I tried not to overthink anything as the announcer moved out of the way, gracefully gesturing to us with his arm. I gulped. I was paralyzed.

I felt too darn afraid to go onstage. Sure, I wasn't overthinking about what Krista could have possibly done, but I was doing something worse. I wasn't thinking at all.

"Umm, you can go..." Katy whispered behind me. She stared at me curiously over my shoulder, and then she prodded my face with her finger. If these were normal circumstances, I would've made a face and just ran on stage. But I stayed frozen.

"Why don't you go, Katy?" I heard Krista say behind me in her fake-sweet voice. There was a hint of annoyance in her voice, though. I could hear Katy stuttering to respond, but out of nowhere, Katy was shoved onto the stage, accidentally knocking against my arm. That woke me up. Katy squeaked and skidded onstage. She looked around uncertainly, resembling a mouse more than ever. After doing a few double-takes, she quickly composed herself and stood up straight, brushing off her dress. She waved to the audience elegantly, flashing her small smile. She started gliding across the stage. After Katy took her first steps, I whipped around and glared at Krista. She had on her plastic smile. I grimaced.

"What was that for?" I whispered angrily, gesturing at Katy. Krista blinked, trying to look innocent. Oh, she's failing so miserably right now. She shrugged.

"Well, she wasn't going, so I helped her out," Krista said sweetly. I glared at her. She just smiled back. This time, her smile wasn't creepy, it was more... evil. I continued glaring at her. Krista just looked over my shoulder and pointed at the stage. I frowned and turned around. Katy had reached the other side of the stage, where she was posing.

"Your turn," Krista said forcefully, pushing me onstage. I expected to stumble and fall on my butt, but I didn't. Actually, I slid onstage. But I still landed on my butt.

"Ouch," I hissed, my face scrunching up. The crowd let out a collective gasp. Well gee, I don't think heels are that slippery. Krista definitely messed with them. Am I smart or what?

My first reflex was to scowl and turn to glare at Krista. I had to stop myself though, because I'm guessing flipping someone the birdy isn't very ladylike. It definitely won't earn me points from the judges.

I tried to get up, but a sharp pain shot up my ankle. I flinched and fell back down. Oh crap, I really did break my leg. Or twist my ankle. But it's the same general idea!

I tried standing up again, but it wasn't working. My ankle started throbbing. I felt tears sting the corners of my eyes. I glanced over at the judges, who were watching me curiously and writing notes on their clipboard.