The Beauty Queen - Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Okay, this is the most important portion of the competition," Jill told me in a low voice. His face was completely serious--an emotion that I've never seen Jill show before in all my twenty eight hours of knowing him. His streaked bangs flopped into one of his eyes, making him seem even more serious. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Really? Formal wear?" I asked. Jill threw up his hands and shook his head violently. "Nooo, my dear child! Not 'formal wear'," he said in distaste. "This is the night wear portion!"

Oh. I see. When Jill turned away, I rolled my eyes and let out a sigh. I always thought night wear and formal wear were the same thing.  Shows how much I know about this pageant stuff. And I thought I had known everything. Jill spun around to face me again, now with a hanger covered by a giant bag in his hands. I raised my eyebrows. It looks like a body bag.

"This is your dress," he said excitedly, shoving the body bag into my face. I jerked backwards. I bit my lip, looking at the oddly-colored cloth on the hanger.

"Really?" I said, trying to force a smile. It probably looked more like a grimace. "It's... lovely."

I stared at Jill, trying to keep my quivering smile on. He stared back at me blankly. His mouth hung open slightly. And then suddenly, completely out of the blue, he had a laugh attack.

Uhh, okay?

Wiping his eyes and slapping his knee, Jill tried explaining through his ridiculous guffaws. "Take--ahahaha--the bag--bahaha--off of the hanger!" I frowned and held the hanger up by its handle, lifting up the body bag. Underneath the nasty greenish cloth was black silk.

Oh wow. I'm such a smart cookie.

The dress was gorgeous, especially in comparison to what I originally thought was the dress. I laughed a little at myself. I took the rest of the bag off the dress, exposing the entire thing. It was short, not long like I thought it would be, and strapless. The neckline was pleated, and there was a pale pink band that went across the middle. The skirt of the dress poofed out a little, with some crinoline showing from the bottom.

This is probably the first dress I’ve actually loved in my life. I hope I can keep it.

Jill was practically bouncing off the walls in excitement. When I looked up from the dress, he was rummaging through another bag. I cringed, hoping my shoes aren’t six inches tall. I looked back down at the dress. Six-inch heels are becoming some sort of habit.

“Here,” Jill said, grinning at me. He plopped a pair of shoes down on the dress in my arms. I scowled as he started shooing me to change.

“My arms are kinda full,” I grumbled. Jill ignored my comment, giving me one last push into the dressing room. Then he flashed a wide smile and said, “You’re gonna look fabulous!” Once he left the room, I stared blankly at the door before chuckling.

I don’t think a straight man could say something like “fabulous” so seriously.

~~~

I stepped out of the changing stall, feeling confident. I have to say, I look pretty great in my dress. Or as Jill would put it, “fabulous”.

“Danielle!”

I spun around in response to the shrill, high-pitched voice. It was definitely not Katy…

When I turned I felt like I was about to slip, but Krista—the owner of said annoying voice—grabbed my arm before I fell on my butt. I frowned at my shoes. Huh. That’s weird. Krista giggled nervously.

“Platform pumps are notoriously slippery,” she told me. I looked up at her face, still frowning. She looked a little too proud for using a big word. Her expression was smug, but I could tell she was trying to look friendly. I looked around, wondering if she was talking or smiling at someone else. There was no one else in the dressing room. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously, but then they widened in fright.

Is Krista going to murder me?

I laughed nervously, flashing a small smile. Krista’s hand was still gripping my wrist, and I tried my best to slip away. But her hold wouldn’t relax. All my senses immediately kicked into hyper-alert.

“Dani—can I call you that?—I’m like, soo sorry about how I’ve been treating you. I mean, like it’s not your fault you’re poor ‘n junk,” Krista said, obviously having a hard time with being nice. My eyebrows knitted together, my eyes still wide with shock.

“Who are you, and what have you done with Penelope’s daughter?”

Krista let out an overly exaggerated laugh, even slapping her knee for effect. Oh gosh, now I know something’s wrong. I feel nauseous.

What the hell could Krista want? Was she going to stab me to death with her seven-inch heels?!

“I’ve totally changed, silly,” Krista said. She waved her hand at me, as if my comment was so ridiculous. I noticed her hand was still clutching my wrist. I tried to escape again, but Krista didn’t seem to notice. Either that, or she was ignoring it on purpose.

“I just wanted to say I was sorry and good luck,” Krista said, leading me out of the dressing rooms. I kept sliding a few inches on every other step. I made a face. I’ve got to be careful on stage. I made a mental note to thank Krista for the helpful hint.

Krista led me backstage, where the other girls were already standing. They were all shuffling around nervously, but none of them made a sound. They were all dressed and ready, all of them looking ten times better than me.

Oh, look at that. There goes my self-esteem.

No, I told myself firmly, I’m not letting my insecurities get in my way. I have to remember what Penelope said. Dignity.

I joined the group of girls at the edge of the stage with poise. Krista finally let go of my wrist, grinning creepily. I narrowed my eyes at her. She just kept on smiling that scary smile.

“Break a leg,” she said. Then she waved peppily before turning away. I shivered. It sounded so… creepy. I think she really wants me to break a leg.

They were all watching the MC on stage, trying to make some corny jokes while announcing the next and last event. I peered at the announcer over Katy’s shoulder. She glanced at me. She cracked a small smile.

“Good luck,” she whispered. I grinned back at her.

“Same to you.”

<><><>

Another boring chappie. But the story's almost done! And the next chapter will be more exciting, I promise! ;D