The Beauty Queen - Chapter 20

I want to thank leena_nah14 for being such an amazing fan and commenting on so many chapters! :D You're awesome! (I dedicate this chapter to you. ^.^)

<><><>

Chapter 20

Nate.

That's all I could think about. Nate.

Even sitting onstage in practice, a time when I would usually ignore Nate, I couldn't stop my eyes from wandering over to him. Every time he caught me staring, he would flash me a smug smile. I would always blush and quickly look away. And then my eyes would totally just go over to Nate again.

Ugh. Stupid hormones.

"Hey, I know you just kissed lover boy and he's totally attractive and all," Katy whispered, slapping my knee, "but pay attention. You never know if Penelope’s PMSing.”

I snorted. “It seems like she is every day.”

Katy giggled as Penelope took her normal position in front of the stage. She crossed her arms and looked at us, probably scrutinizing our every flaw. Suddenly, I felt super insecure again. My eyes flickered to Nate again, and he actually gave me a somewhat reassuring half-smile. I smiled to myself. He’s so adorable.

“There’s no practice today,” Penelope said, her arms still crossed. My eyebrows shot up. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Nate’s jaw practically down to the ground. Katy and I looked at each other. We both had the same shocked expression on. A few girls behind us had already gotten up. But Penelope stopped them.

“But what we are doing today,” Penelope said, snapping her fingers, “are makeovers.”

Right after Penelope had snapped her fingers, about twenty to thirty colorful people marched out from either side of the stage, lining up next to her. My eyes widened.

These people were all gorgeous. There were women, men, and some that I couldn’t tell. Nonetheless, these people all had beautiful features, along with beautiful, stylish clothes. Not to mention their completely weird but totally fascinating hairstyles. Just to name a few, there was a purple fohawk, a black-and-white streaked bob, and a sky-high beehive-type thingy.

Once again, Katy and I had the same exact expression on.

“You’ll each be assigned one stylist,” Penelope said, spreading her arms to either side of her. “You won’t get to choose, obviously, but every one of these people has the same amount of skill. They all had the same classes in the same beauty school. So don’t get upset with who you’re assigned to. You shallow girls need to stop killing each other.”

The stylists looked a little shocked at how Penelope was speaking to us, but it was a normal thing for us.

“The pageant is this weekend, girls. Today’s Wednesday, so that only gives us today and two more days to prepare. So get ready for it,” Penelope said. Her voice had this edge to it that made it sound like she was warning us. In a way, she was.

Wow. This weekend. Saturday night. I can’t believe it’s almost here.

I involuntarily looked over at Nate. He was frowning at the stylists. Probably because their hair was blocking his view of the stage.

I can’t believe it’s already been two and a half weeks. It feels like it’s been two days.

All of the events of the last two weeks and a half came rushing back to me. The ones that came most vividly were when I met Nate, when Katy started talking to me… and when Nate kissed me. Both times.

I blushed. I don’t think those things can just happen in two days.

The other girls around us were twittering excitedly, and I actually started doing it too. But Katy was definitely more excited than I was, since I wasn’t exactly twittering. I was doing more of muttering about how being told you need a makeover is kind of an insult.

“Okay,” Penelope shouted over the noise, “when I call your name, come up and claim your stylist.”

<><><>

Sorry this chapter's so damn short. >.< It's just that I have to go to CCD in a bit...

Hope you like it though! I'll upload soon! <3

P.S., the story's close to the ending!