Chapter 2: Flying

Hey there readers!!(:

If you are reading this, thanks so much for reading! Also, I could really use some feedback on this. Whether its good or bad. Well that's all I have to say for today, sorry I'm such a slow updater *smh*

Happy reading!!(:

~ Shelby ·U·

______________________________________________________________

"You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you."

-C. JoyBell C.

.............................................................................................................................................................

~ Aly's P.O.V ~

As I lead Ian to the backyard, my stomach churns and my head spins. I try to calm myself down by breathing deeply, but it's no use. I think Ian notices too because he squeezes my hand. So, instead of wondering how he knows what the birdhouse is, I focus on how his hand practically swallows mine but somehow fits perfectly.

Once we finally reach the oak tree in the corner of my yard, I stop and look up at the branches full of leaves that are the shade of green you only see in the summer. I suddenly remember that I'm still holding Ian's hand and I feel a blush creeping up my cheeks. But, his hand isn't letting go of mine, so I don't let go either.

"So, how do you know what the birdhouse is?" I start, looking into his blue eyes curiously.

"Well, I don't know what it is, I was just told.. to umm.. tell you," he said, rubbing the back of his hand nervously. I nod.

After a moment, I sum up the courage to look inside the blue birdhouse hanging in front of me on the front of the tree. It was Alicia and I's secret way of giving each other messages when we were kids. Stretching up on my tippy toes, I peek inside and see a pink envelope stuck to the ceiling. I reach my fingers inside and pull it out.

When I flip it over, I have to sit down because I'm afraid that I might fall over. "To: Alyssa" is written in swirly letters that can only be described as one person's hand writing.

Alicia.

I almost forget that Ian is here until he sits down in front of me and scans my face. He looks at me as if to say "Are you okay?". I nod at him and he gives me an encouraging smile. I can't help but stare for a second and wonder how he does that. How he can still be so happy after everything that's happened.

I look back down at the envelope and with shaky hands, I open it up. Slowly unfolding the letter, I notice that there are birds singing happy, beautiful songs above us. Completely oblivious to the fact that this isn't a happy day. Not even close.

I take a deep breath and notice how it shudders. Starting to read the letter, I hear my sister's voice softly resounding in my head.

Dear Alyssa,

If you're reading this, that means that Ian did what he was supposed to and that you still remember the birdhouse! Don't forget to thank Ian by the way.

Okay, so now I have some explaining to do. Well, I'm not going to tell you why I jumped off of that cliff. (Don't worry, you'll find out eventually) But I will tell you this. I have a mission for you. Remember the summer I went on that really long road trip with some friends? Well, I want you to relive it for me, to see what I saw, and to feel what I felt. And I want you to spread my ashes at different places along the way. Places that mean a lot to me.

Now I know what your thinking, "There's no way mom and dad will let me do that!" Well, I want Ian to go with you, that way you aren't going alone.

You know how the note that was on my bed the day I left said that I didn't want to be buried? And how it said I wanted mom and dad to keep part of me, and you take the rest? Well, you're gonna take your part and spread it around.