Regained Hope

Thor wakes up alone in Lokis bed. The god of mischief must have left a while ago because the other side is already cold. Perhaps he hasn’t slept at all and has sneaked out as soon as Thor has drifted away. Even if Thor hasn’t wanted it any other way he still feels a painful sting in his heart. He turns to the side. His hand wanders over the sheets in an almost longing motion. He would definitely miss him and not just because of the incredible sex they had last night.

A knock on the door lets Thor frown his forehead. His first impression is to ask the person to come in right away. Then he remembers that this aren’t actually his chambers. Eventually he decides to do it anyway. He doesn’t mind if a servant might talk with others about why the royal prince has slept in the bed of his presumably brother. There always has been stupid rumours. What does a few more matter?

Thor: Come in.

Thor is about to lie back again when the visitor doesn’t hesitate a second to open the door. A servant surely would have at least be slightly irritated by the unfamiliar voice. Thor rises up on his elbows to see who is entering the room. His eyebrows go up while the visitor doesn’t seem surprised at all to see him in Lokis bed.

Thor: Mother...

Frigga greets him with a warm smile on her lips. After she closes the door her eyes roam over the chaos Loki has left behind as he has packed his bag in a hurry. Thor imagines that her gaze stays longer on the books that has fallen from the shelf and the table that has been robbed from its belongings. It appears like she knows very well that this mess has another cause than the rest. At least the bathtub and the distributed water is gone. Before she looks at Thor again she observed the crumpled bedsheets long enough to let Thor start to feel uncomfortable. Something else has appeared in her eyes. Thor just couldn’t tell if it is anything good or not.

Frigga: I was looking for my son.

Thor doesn’t know if Loki has talked to Frigga before he has left. Loki has always had a stronger bond with their mother than with Odin. Still it is more likely he has just sneaked away without telling her. She might have wanted to stop him and Loki might have given in as she is the only one who he listens to. Thor decides to answer as vague as possible.

Thor: He isn’t here.

Friggas walks over to the bed to sit down on the edge of it. Her lips form a soft smile. The warmth even reaches her eyes when he touches Thors cheek in a loving motion.

Frigga: I was talking about my son by blood. You weren’t in your chambers last night.

Thors eyes shifts nervously to the side.

Thor: I was ... busy.

Frigga: I can tell.

Friggas soft chuckle lets Thors head jerk over to her again. His eyes widen in realization.

Thor: You aren’t ... mad?

Shocked. Outraged. Disgusted. These are words Thor would have used if he would find out that someone has spent the night with one of their relatives. Except that Loki isn’t actually his brother. Even if they grew up together he always has felt something that has gone far beyond the family bond. He has gone through all those things his mind just has thrown at him. Shock. Outrage. Disgust.

Until he has found out that Loki and he aren’t related at all. Suddenly he realizes something else. His mother knows that he knows. He has called him her ‘son by blood’ only moments ago.

Frigga: I am not mad.

Thor: But why not?

Frigga: Do you want me to be?