²²

selena rushed downstairs to open the front door after hope had yelled something about still getting ready for the day. she opened the door and was met by the sight of the triplets, including an extremely anxious-looking matt. she smiled a little to herself at the surprise appearances and let them in before they followed her to the living room.

"hope will be down soon, she's probably just finishing up," selena commented and moved towards the kitchen.

"do you guys want anything. a drink or a snack?" she questioned as she twisted the handle and even though they replied they didn't, she still set out a few snacks and drinks on the table anyway.

"i say we go back home," matt mumbled once hope's mum was back in the kitchen and out of earshot.

"matt we're here now and you're going to talk to her," nick scoffed.

before matt could respond, he heard the thump of feet against the stairs as hope practically ran down the stairs. she walked into the room with her headphones hung around her neck and her eyes glued to her phone with the corners of her mouth turned upwards.

"mum who was at the door?" she questioned without looking up.

when she heard the clearing of the throat rather than a response from her mum, she finally looked up. her eyes became a little bigger due to her shock which she quickly masked and attempted to hide with a cough.

"oh hey guys," she said awkwardly yet calmly, even though her heart was suddenly beating like crazy.

they mumbled small forms of acknowledgement before the kitchen door opened again, revealing selena now in an apron and with a spatula in her hand.

"i would hate to interrupt but i'm making a lot of brownies and could do with some help. nick, chris, do you mind helping me?" she asked with a smirk lingering on her face that had nick stifling his laughter.

"we would love to help you!" chris agreed far too enthusiastically and selena grinned at him.

when selena finally made eye contact with her daughter, she was met with an intense glare. they had a conversation with their eyes as hope conveyed her fear and selena reassured her. it wasn't up for discussion as selena quickly shut the kitchen door, leaving matt and hope within one another's company.

"uh do you want to go to my room?" hope mused.

if she was going to have this conversation with matt, she certainly wasn't going to have it in the living room of all places, where she was sure the others could hear every last word.

"yeah, let's go to your room," matt breathed out and when hope faced the door, he let out a small breath of anticipation he didn't realise he was holding in.

matt followed after hope. each step he took had him dragging his feet so that he would actually move. he was incredibly nervous; he had no idea where this conversation would go. they would either never speak again, something would come of it or they would just go back to the way things were before that day. he truly wished it was the second option more than anything in the entire world.

the walk to the room was done in pure silence and the only sound they could hear was their movements along the floorboards and the closing of the door as they eventually stepped into the room. hope moved to sit on her bed and signalled for matt to do the same. both of them noted the distance between them as they sat down, most likely scared that there would be a repeat of last time before they could even get down to speaking about the situation. the gap felt almost like it was mocking the pair, as though the space was created solely to make them uneasy. they tried their hardest to put their thoughts aside and to refrain from moving closer to one another, if only to make everything the way it once was just merely over a week ago.