²

sunday's are meant to be for lazing around for hours and ending up regretting every life choice made during the week as the week eventually come to a close. that's what sunday's are supposed to be and yet they aren't because hope's parents refuse to allow their daughter to waste away her day without doing at least something productive, no matter how miniature.

that is the sole reason hope was walking around her new area, taking in her somewhat new surroundings with music blaring through her airpods. she hummed along softly to the words and her head moved according to the beat. she had been walking for around 20 minutes when her stomach rumbled in warning, her cue to get something to eat. with a little mental discussion with herself, she settled on some nuggets and pepsi, nothing too heavy.

she walked around some more, turning corners and crossing roads until she eventually arrived at the closest mcdonald's in her vicinity and made her way inside. the line was tolerable and she sighed in relief when she managed to quickly order her drink and nuggets without wasting too much time. she waited for 10 minutes for her food to arrive and as soon as it was in her hands, she thanked the worker and she was out of the door. with a content smile on her face, she shifted to a nearby bench on the side of the street in order to fix her grip on her food and ensure everything was comfortable before she could continue walking. her airpods were now back in her ears but she had not pressed play on her playlist just yet.

extremely close by, matt was in a daze. he was simply going to quickly find nick as he was taking too long to get their food, or so he thought. as he set his plan into motion, his movements faltered when he stumbled upon a sight he never thought he would see again. there in front of him, stood his ex girlfriend doing whatever she was doing and looking as beautiful as ever. with shock cursing through his veins, he stared at her with his mouth parted. immediately, his eyebrows furrowed together in confusion. in all honestly, he couldn't help but stare. he had gotten over her after some time but seeing her made his heart twist in several directions in ways he couldn't even attempt to comprehend. he had always considered her perfect, even when she would scold him and repeatedly tell him that nothing was perfect. he would think she was ridiculous; how couldn't she be perfect? the way her eyes lit up at anything exciting, even something extremely little, or the way she understood everything without having to be told or the way she could bring anyone to ease in such simplistic ways, she was utterly perfect. as his eyes stayed rooted to the spot, a million thoughts ran through his head, jumbling together in what he knew would lead to a pointless headache.

clearly his eyes were trained on her for far too long as hope's eyes looked up, feeling the glare on her as it almost burned into her. her dark brown eyes flickered with an unrecognisable emotion as she came face to face with the one person she didn't want to come across. despite her will, her breath caught in her throat as she connected with the sight. he was mesmerising. he had matured ever so slightly since the last time she had seen him but his beauty? that was forever. he was so painfully beautiful and all she could think about was what it had felt like when they belonged to one another. her eyes couldn't tear away from him and his eyes couldn't leave her. it was like some sort of contest none of them were willing to lose when in reality, they had already lost everything before they even competed.

time felt almost frozen as brown clashed with blue in a concoction of the sea and the stable ground. the land steadied the water and the waves stilled for a moment or so. the moment disappeared and the ground became too weak as the waves slashed against it, fighting it off out of fear and horror. their gazes subsided and everything resumed. the initial shock departed and hope huffed out a small breath of air, taking small steps away

nick left the store a few moments later, coming to a halt behind his younger brother and his still figure.

"matt what are you doing? what are you looking at?" nick laughed a little at matt's odd behaviour as his brother was standing outside and just staring into the distance.