Episode 1B: Woe-fore art thou Wednesday

A/N: You can find me on tumblr and twitter with the same username (swiftsaltsweet)

Not beta read, we'll live or die by my ghostly hands! ;w;/

________________________________________________________

Enid had been wondering why Wednesday didn't take her disembodied family Thing with her to school. Last year, Wednesday's parents had sent the handy helper to keep an eye on Wednesday to make sure she didn't do anything out of line.

Thing had become a huge asset to Wednesday, having made him pledge loyalty to her and her alone. Because of this, it made no sense why Wednesday wouldn't bring Thing with her this semester.

Regardless of Wednesday's amnesia, her parents would've surely sent him to babysit her. Not even mentioning Thing's own wants and desires, he wouldn't have left Wednesday alone in the state she was in.

And so, Enid concluded that this faker also did something to Thing as well as Wednesday.

And that's why Enid was breaking into Yoko and Not-Wednesday's dorm room. Well, not really breaking in, she asked the still afraid Yoko if she could borrow her key. So technically she was allowed in the room.

Thanks to her daily stalking, Enid had gotten a relative grasp on what Not-Wednesday's school schedule was and knew she wouldn't be back for a good while.

"Thing," Enid whispered, but all she got back was silence.

Enid got on all fours and started crawling around, sniffing the ground. Though her sense of smell wasn't as strong as if she was in wolf form, which was not a viable option for various reasons at the current moment, it was still much stronger than a normal human's.

She wandered the room a few times but couldn't get a scent. So, she decided to raid the place. Well, neatly raid if that was an option, she wanted to keep it as neat as possible, so as not to get her nor Yoko in trouble. And to keep the fake from finding out she was in there.

She started with the dresser drawers, the nightstand, the vanity table, the suitcases, the bed, and the desk. While scanning the desk she picked up the two dolls on it, the headless one and the ax wielding one. She gave each a sniff, starting with the ax wielding one smelt just like the fake with the same floral smell. Just like everything else in this room.

Enid took the headless doll and gave it a sniff, expecting the same floral smell. Instead, her nose was filled with the intense sensation of dead flowers and ammonia. It was Wednesday's scent! It was practically bathed in it. So, did that mean this doll was Wednesday's? Why would the fake have Wednesday's doll?

She looked at the doll, the dress it wore was almost exactly like the one Wednesday wore on her first day. It was like a miniature fashion disaster. Enid wasn't sure what it all meant, but it was a clue, so she stored the doll in her backpack.

Finally, she went to the armoire. Nothing was in its top cabinet, but when she opened the drawer below, a new but familiar scent burst forth into her nostrils.

Excited, Enid started tearing it apart, hoping to find Thing. But instead of finding her stitch-y friend, she found a chained box. One that looked like it had been busted open from within. Pieces of fingernail, and blood were speckled around the opening. It reeked of Thing's scent, specifically the last of the hand lotion that Enid smelt off Not-Wednesday back at the quad.

"What are you doing?" an unfortunately familiar voice sent a shock down Enid's spine.

Enid turned slowly, to see the Not-Wednesday standing by her, now closed, bedroom door, a small, unsettling smile on her face. She had come back sooner than Enid had anticipated.