S.T.A.R.

Entering the narrow opening in the ancient tree's trunk felt almost like slipping into a secret passage, its smooth surface guiding me with an uncanny familiarity through its winding twists and turns. Gradually, the darkness gave way to a comforting warmth, and I emerged into a world of unexpected solace. The interior of the tree house embraced me with its rustic charm, adorned with sturdy oak beams and the gentle glow of a crackling fireplace.

To my right, a plush couch beckoned invitingly beside the flickering flames, and across the room, nestled in the far corner, a quaint hot cocoa bar awaited, complete with an array of toppings stashed high enough for an entire winter. Yet, it was the ladder extending to the balcony above that captured my attention, leading to a perch amidst the tree's lofty branches, offering a view of the world below.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa..." Curtis's voice echoes from behind as he catches up to me, sliding down with a thud as he lands on his rear, his hat askew as he hastily tries to readjust it.  "I'll never get used to that," he says with a chuckle, shaking his head as he gets back onto his feet.

"At least we made it down in one piece, right?" I respond, and take another gander around such an amazing place. "Where exactly are we?"

"Come on over here," Curtis beckons, leading the way to the hot cocoa bar. He deftly begins to gather the ingredients needed for our drinks, his movements practiced and efficient. "As I mentioned earlier, this spot serves as a sort of gateway," he elaborates, fetching a couple of mugs and setting them on the counter. I settle onto a stool, feeling the warmth of the fireplace enveloping me. "Contrary to what most people think, the North Pole actually has two units set up for protection and assistance. And this place sits between our world and the fabric of reality, aka between the two units," he explains, handing me a steaming mug. "It's like an empty pocket, devoid of time, noise, and danger... unless, of course, someone with nefarious intentions tries to find it." He pauses, considering. "Would you like whipped cream? I can even add some chocolate syrup to it."

"I'll go with just whipped cream," I reply, my choice needing some level of simplicity, especially after the whirlwind of information Curis just heavily dropped. Curtis nods and adds the fluffy topping, a small gesture that gives me a moment to process everything. Taking a sip of the cocoa, I relish the comforting warmth and rich chocolate flavor. "So, you're basically saying, this is a super-secret hideout, but it's so extreme that it exists outside of our universe?" I inquire, fascinated by the concept. "What's the North Pole's connection to something like this?"

"Think about it- Christmas is the biggest holiday of the year! It brings hope to millions of children and turns stone-cold hearts into gold. So many organizations, including those outside our own reality, have tried to take advantage of this special holiday, but their intentions are not as pure as you may think. Hints why S.T.A.R. or Security Timeline Agency of Resistance was formed in the first place. We monitor and protect the timeline of Christmas, making sure that everything goes smoothly and no one tries to interfere. If Christmas ever fell into the wrong hands, the impact would be astronomical. Happiness all over the globe would deteriorate as we know it!"

As Curtis shares his insight, I find myself nodding, absorbing every word to the best of my abilities. "I suppose it makes sense," I interject. "Christmas isn't just a holiday; it's hope. And you don't want it getting into the hands, of anyone, who seeks to exploit it with darkness." Pausing to gather my thoughts, I continue, "If Christmas were to fall into the wrong hands, the consequences would be unimaginable. That's why organizations like S.T.A.R. exist—to protect the essence of Christmas and ensure the magic continues. But I have a hunch that you're more than just a keeper of the handbook. So, what position do you really hold here?"

"Bernard's right, you do catch on quickly," Curtis says, chuckling at my suspicion. "As the number 2 elf, I'm also advanced in mystic arts training, along with keeping other dimensions in place and making sure various universes don't leak into ours. However, and most importantly, what concerns me right now, is this uprising empire that wants to claim Christmas as its own."