Ch. 04 - Street Rat

Trigger warning: minor descriptions of blood and fighting.

~~Storybrooke~~

The next morning the Mayor had made it clear to Ali that she was not to take Henry to school that day; or interact with him at all for that matter.

This didn't  mean that she had an uneventful day though. On the contrary, her day began as it normally did and would slowly show its colorful events.

Ali started her day in her kitchen, taking the pie that she had made the previous day out of the fridge, and popped it in the oven to heat it up. As the smell of apples and cinnamon began to flood her cottage, she worked habitually over her coffee pot to make a rather strong cup of coffee. She needed a strong cup after the night she'd had; especially with the second dream that had followed.

Ali frowned in remembrance. She hadn't had dreams for as long as she could remember. As a child she might have, but then again, she didn't particularly remember much of her childhood anyway. And to suddenly have two in a row?

Completing her coffee with cream and sugar, she took a sip as flashes of the dream came to mind.

Running. Laughing. A forest view blurring past her as she ran from something unknown. A blurred face-

Ali flinched, cursing blindly under her breathe as her phone began to ring from her back pocket and as she spilled some of the hot coffee onto her hands. Rushing to put her mug down and wash her hands, Ali had soon fished out her phone and read the caller ID: Regina.

Ali sniffed a laugh as she pulled the apple pie out of the oven, recalling the conversation.

When the Mayor had called to tell her to not pick up Henry that morning, she had given a taunting apology for waking the teen too early, to which she had responded

"Not to worry Madame Mayor, I've been getting up at the ripe hour of 5am for as long as I can remember. Six is none too early, I assure you."

The conversation had ended quickly after that.

So she continued about her regular routine, eating breakfast, getting dressed, doing a quick tidy up around the cottage, and attending to her garden.

As she went back inside her cottage and set her basket of vegetables on the counter her phone began to buzz yet again. Puzzled, she answered the phone. What more was going to happen today?

~~Enchanted Forest~~

"Stop thief! I'll have your hands for a trophy!"

Aladdin snickered, tucking the two stolen loaves of bread under her arms as she ran. 'Hands for a trophy? How unoriginal'

"All this for some loaves of bread?" She called back with a grin.

The guards angered responses is music to her ears.

Thinking quickly, Aladdin scaled the stairs up to someone's house; shouting quick apologies as she cut through the room and leaving one of the loaves of bread on the table as she passed.

Not waiting for the mothers response, Aladdin launched out of the window onto the clothes line strung between two buildings and swung herself across into the other window. "Give this to your neighbor would ya?" She says to the man as she tosses him the other loaf, before launching towards another neighbors window ledge.

Hanging by her finger tips, she glances around quickly before she hears giggling and quickly realizes who's window she's hanging from. Shooting the women a quick smile she murmurs a sentence that leaves them smiling before one is sent to meet the man across the street. And Aladdin drops to the ground with a flip.

"There he is!"

"You won't get away so easily!"

Aladdin gapes at the two guards, sparing a glance back up at the women "They think that was easy?"

The women laugh, leaving the men distracted while Aladdin ducks away.

Not much later, Aladdin appears on the other side of the market. Swiping another loaf of bread discreetly, she makes her way undetected towards a sharp looking women. The women's features soften as Aladdin approaches, although a teasing expression remains.

"Getting into trouble a little early today, aren't we Aladdin?"

"Trouble?" She chuckles, passing the women the loaf.

"No way! You're only in trouble if you get caught-"

One of the guards hands lands roughly on her shoulder, spinning Aladdin around so she only gets a short look at the angered expression on the woman's face before she's faced with the guards bull-like features.

"I'm in trouble." she says with a smirk and jerks her knee up, crippling the guard.

"Damn you! That's a low blow, even for you you Streetrat! You should know how painful-" he grunts as a swift kick to the chest knocks him over, taking the breathe right out of him.

"Honestly, you'd think that you'd be more protected with all this extra armor! Ah well, your precious prince would go for something flashy rather than something practical." Aladdin taunts.

Hearing guard number two's yell, Aladdin spun around to see him charge. Thinking quickly, Aladdin reached down and grabbed the other guards sword and parried the blow.

Grunting, the guard attempted to swipe Aladdin's head off only to have his sword caught in a barrel as Aladdin moved swiftly away. In a quick movement, Aladdin hit the butt of her sword to the back of his head and let the guard fall to the ground.

Turning around Aladdin couldn't see the first guard. She carefully walked out into the open space, when the towns people around her suddenly screamed.

Aladdin dropped to the ground and rolled to the side, enraged to see that the guard had tried to stab her while her back was turned. The guard let out another cry and swung wildly towards her. Aladdin met him and their swords clashed, some of the blows causing sparks to fly around them. Aladdin let out a laugh as she twirled and parried, this was too easy. As they fought, Aladdin put more effort into her blows and easily began pushing the guard back.

Seeing this, the guard started to panic like a trapped animal; and started to act like one too. He swung his sword erratically, causing the towns people to scurry with shouts and screams as his blade came far too close for comfort.

Aladdin scowled, and quickly cornered the guard to the nearest wall. With a well practiced twirl of the sword, Aladdin sent the guards blade flying out of his hands and pinned his body against the wall. Her sword was held firmly to his neck as the guard squirmed, causing a thin line of blood to be drawn.

"Let me go! Who do you think-"

"You wanna know what I hate most about you royals?"

The guard quivered at her tone as one of her hands moved, lowering the mask from her face,

He gasped, "You're a-"

"You all only care about yourself and your own successes." She ground out. And with a flick of the wrist, the guard dropped dead. The other one soon to follow.

Aladdin left the area soon after, disappearing amongst the multitude.

And the people of Agrabah went about their day as though nothing had happened.

As if nothing out of the ordinary had happened at all.