Chapter 3 | The Stakes

Ewan tossed the ill wish to his unsuspecting eldest brother, who fumbled with it, before clutching it to his chest. He had found the ill wish where it landed in the courtyard and now had words for his brother. "What is this?" Alistaire looked down at what was in his hands, examining it carefully, confusion etched in his thick brows. "You know exactly what this is." Ewan spit. Their eyes locked. "Yes, but why are you handing this to me?" Ewan stepped closer to his brother, "Whose handiwork is this, Alistaire?" Alistaire looked closer at the fabric wrapped around the stick figure. The stitching, the tartan pattern was distinct. "This was found in your betrothed's bed."
          Alistaire uttered a curse under his breath. "I thought you had handled it..." he whispered, noticing the eyes of their men starting to take interest in their conversation. "Spare me the lecture." Alistaire turned to walk away, but Ewan was not done. "Aili MacLeod is pious and self- righteous, Alistaire. She requested holy water and asked if we had a priest so he could come and bless her room. If she writes to her father about this, he could call off the alliance. We already know how reluctant he was to enter into this agreement to begin with. Make it clear to her what is at stake, or I will."
          Ewan stormed off. Alistaire knew better than to argue with him when Ewan was this heated. Alistaire was in no mood for a brawl right now, and that is exactly what he would get if he pushed the matter any further. His little brother was passionate to say the least. It was his greatest strength, but also his greatest weakness. With a bitter taste in his mouth Alistaire roamed towards the servants' entrance and descended the steps to the kitchen. It was bustling inside, with smoke fumes and tangy aromas filling the air.
          A wisp of raven black hair caught his eye. His heart palpitated. Though, seething with anger, she still had that effect on him. He said nothing to her, swallowed her arm with the width of his palm and dragged her out of the kitchen. She huffed at him with each step. When he finally faced her, she was backed into the outer castle wall, no escape with his arms outstretched on each side of her. She scowled at him, swiping her palm against his cheek. He chuckled softly at her attempt to slap him. This only infuriated her more.
          "What do you think yer doin'?!" He threw the stick figure at her. Her eyes paled in recognition. "You are a terrible liar, Sofia MacDonald... and a terrible witch." She rolled her eyes up at him. "Aye, I'm no liar and no witch. It was just a wee bit of harmless fun." He shook his head. "Damn you, woman." He released her from his hold and walked away. "Damn me?!" She chased after him, fire on her heels. "Don't you turn your back on me, Alistaire MacDonald," she sneered. She eyed a large looking stone poking through the ground. She grasped it in her petite hands and hurled it at his head.
          It knocked him between his taut shoulder blades. When he turned around, she had sunk to the ground her sights set on another stone. She swung at him again, forcing him to duck to dodge the blow. "I wish I ne'er laid sight of ya, Ya scheming, traitorous bastard!" The stone connected with the side of his head, this time. A warm tingling sensation traveled down his temple. He pressed his forefinger against his temple, and it coated the tip of his finger with red. He cursed under his breath. As she stooped to the ground yet again, he seized his opportunity. He plowed her over, tumbling to the ground and rolling in the grass to lessen the impact.
          With his weight on top of her she could hardly speak. Her chest heaved, as she fought for breath. "You must leave her be. No more of your pranks, Sofia. You put us all at risk with your meddling." His rage softened at the closeness between them. She inched her lips upward, beckoning a kiss. "Tell me you do not love me, and I will stop," she whispered hoarsely. Her warm breath skimmed against his lips. It took every fiber of sheer will inside of him to resist her. "You know I can't." he said at last, betraying his heart's desire. He could not be selfish- would not be, not when his clan depended on him for peace and survival. Reluctantly, he pushed himself off of her. Then strode inside the castle, leaving her lying their breathless and broken.