11- Icon, The Battle For Trost Part Seven

"Well said, you're a real man" Commander Pixis says as he pats Eren on the shoulders before standing up and walking to the edge of the wall, facing his troops, "I'll call my strategists. We'll develop a plan".

"No way" Armin says in shock, "that idea depends on so many assumptions, and he's just going to run with it?".

"I was just thinking the same thing" Eren says from behind Mikasa and Armin, "but there's no sense in doubting his decision. Commander Pixis must see potential in something the rest of us can't see".

"Something we can't see?" Armin asks confused.

"Also I think there's a bigger issue that must be addressed before the plan can be executed" Eren says as he kneels there, not moving, "and the Commander fully recognises it".

"What do you mean?" Armin asks.

"The titans aren't our only enemy" Eren explains calmly.

"There's no time to waste" Commander Pixis says from in front of the three of them, as they al, stand up, revealing two people standing with the Commander, "I will need your help, young soldiers".

Whilst Mikasa and Armin formulate a plan with the two other soldiers, Commander Pixis and Eren take a walk.

"They say that before titans gained dominion over the Earth, there was endless slaughter of human life in wars over race and ideology" Commander Pixis says as the two of them walk along the wall, "then someone said, 'if a powerful external threat were to appear, humanity would cease its wars and unite'. What do you think of that?".

"I've never heard that legend" Eren says as he walks slightly behind the Commander, "sounds naïve, almost silly".

"You have a warped mind like mine" Commander Pixis says as he laughs.

"Even when that powerful threat has pushed us to the brink of destruction, we still have yet to unite" Eren says as he remembers the difference there was between the civilians and the soldiers.

"No, but it's high time we did so" Commander Pixis says as they make it to the canons, "otherwise we won't be able to fight".

Eren and Commander Pixis walk by the Garrison as Hannes spots Eren.

"Eren" Hannes says as Eren spots him, "he's safe, huh?".

Eren points to the ground as he taps his hand down in Morse code.

Focus on the mission? How dare he address a superior officer that way? By the looks of it, Mikasa and Armin must be safe as well. But what's Eren doing with the Commander?

Hannes asks himself as he watches the two of them walk away. Commander Pixis pulls out his flask as he takes a sip.

"Would you like some?" Commander Pixis asks as he holds out the flask to Eren.

"Yes please" Eren says as he takes the flask from the Commander and drinks some, only to find that it's alcohol as his spits out what remains in his mouth and chokes on the stuff that went down his throat.

Commander Pixis and Eren make it to the group of soldiers down on the ground as they both stand at the edge of the wall. Commander Pixis clears his throat as Eren stands next to him.

"Attention!" Commander Pixis yells as he gets the attention of all of the soldiers below them, "I shall now explain the plan to retake Trost. For this mission, our objective is to seal the hole where the gate is destroyed. Let me introduce you to the one who will seal the hole for us. From the trainee corps, Eren Jaeger. He is the result of a top secret project to turn humans into titans. He can create and control a titan's body. He will become a titan, pick up the boulder by the smashed up gate, carry it over and seal the hole. Your job will be to protect him from titans while he moves the boulder. We will be sending in two of our top soldiers into the front line to clear a path of titans in front of Eren, whilst the rest of you get rid of any other titans in the area, whilst helping resupply those who need more blades and extra gas. The rest of you will be helping medical staff attend to the wounded, organise rehabilitation and work alongside the Garrison to ensure the safety of the walls, including letting us know how many titans enter the breach and at what time, whilst the boulder is being moved. Here is my decision! I shall pardon anyone who deserts now. Once you succumb to the titan's fear, you can never fight them again. Those who have learned that fear should leave. And anyone wishing their parents, siblings and loved ones to feel that fear should also leave. Let me tell you what happened four years ago! About our attempt to take back Wall Maria. As I'm sure you're all aware, that operation was no more than the governments way of dealing with its inability to feed the poor. It was a culling. The reason no one speaks of it is because by sending them outside of these cramped walls, we were able to survive within them. All of humanity, including myself, bears the weight of that sin. Because so few escaped Wall Maria, there was never any open rebellion. But what about now? If Wall Rose falls, the sacrifice will be more than twenty percent. The territory within Wall Sina won't support even half of the remaining population. If humanity falls, it won't be because we were devoured by the titans. It will be because we killed each other. We must not die even deeper within the walls. I beg of you to die right here!".

I don't know if I can use that titan's power to move the boulder, but I understand what I must do. it may be a lie but I must make it happen anyways. I must become a symbol of hope for everyone.

Eren tells himself as he salutes. Meanwhile, Erwin, Evelyn, Levi and Hange are all making their way back to Wall Rose's interior when they see someone coming towards them on a horse.

"Commander Erwin, Sector Commander Hange, Captain Levi, Captain Evelyn, I have news from Commander Pixis" the man says as he rides on his horse next to them, "Commander Pixis has organised a plan to take back Wall Rose's exterior and to seal the hole that has been breached. We have a trainee by the name of Eren Jaeger who can use titan powers".

"What?" Hange asks shocked.

"Eren? What are you talking about?" Evelyn asks confused, "so he did become a trainee after all".

"It's all new information but all I know is that the boy is going to use his titan powers to shift the boulder towards the hole and stop the titans from getting through" the man explains, "but for this to work, Captain Evelyn, Captain Levi. Commander Pixis has asked for the two of you to clean the pathway for the boy of titans so he can get to the hole".

"Levi, Evelyn, the two of you go ahead" Commander Erwin says as he looks at the two of them.

They both nod as they pick up their pace and they head off. Meanwhile, back on top of the wall, Eren reunites with Mikasa and Armin.

"Eren, I'm sorry" Armin says as Eren looks at him, "I ended up making you responsible for everything".

"It's like I said before, you have the ability to find the right answer" Eren says with a smile, "I believe in that".

"Eren, I'm going to-" Mikasa says as she looks at Eren.

"Don't tell me you're going to come with me" Eren says as he looks at Mikasa, "you've been assigned to the decoy team on the outskirts".

"But I can't leave you alone" Mikasa says worriedly, "if you're alone you'll-".

"Enough" Eren says, annoyed, "I'm not your little brother, nor am I a child. I told you that. Just do your job and wipe out titans in the surrounding area. Trust the two people who're gonna protect me".

Levi and Evelyn gather with the troops as they watch from afar as Eren swoops into where the boulder is and he bites his hand, turning into the titan. Evelyn watches in horror as she watches her little brother transform into a titan, right before her eyes. Eren screams as Mikasa watches him from a rooftop near the boulder.

I doubt a human of that size could lift that boulder. But I believe that Eren has the strength to lead us forward.

Mikasa tells herself as she watches Eren turn around and glare at her.

"Eren?" Mikasa asks confused as Eren goes to punch her.

"Mikasa!" Evelyn yells as Eren punches her, Levi holding Evelyn back.