7- The Small Blade, The Battle For Trost Part Three

"Wait Captain!" one of the trainees says as he looks at the leader of the Garrison operation, "if the titans attack, we supply troops won't be able to protect this place on our own. Please stay here!".

"Out of the way" the leader says rudely, "I must organise the reinforcement squads".

"Within the inner gate where it's safe?" the trainee asks as he cocks a brow.

"What are you trying to say?" the leader questions, "this is our procedure! It is our duty as soldiers to follow procedure".

"But if this place falls-" the trainee tries to bargain.

"Silence!" the leader yells as he points his sword at the trainee, "another word and I'll be forced to deem you traitors and punish you right here".

Meanwhile outside, Mikasa continues to glide around as she makes it to a higher advantage point.

I heard the bell sound a temporary retreat. Why does not one try to climb the walls?

Mikasa asks herself as she looks around and spots the titans heading towards the headquarters. Inside the headquarters in the library, some of the trainees and soldiers do their best to hide from the titans. One girl peeks her head over the table and sees a titan looking straight at her through the window.

"It's over" she says as tears spill from her as she sits back down, "it's all over".

One of the other boys pokes ammunition into the gun he has as he turns it on himself, putting into his mouth as he kills himself.

"Hey Jean, what should we do?" Conny asks from outside as the weather starts to clear.

"There's nothing we can do" Jean says as he sits on a rooftop and he looks down, "they finally issued the order to retreat, but without more gas, we can't climb the walls. So we're all going to die because of those cowards".

"The supply team" Conny says as he looks at Jean, "what happened to them? Were they wiped out?".

"They're too terrified to move" Jean explains as he leans his head on his hand, "I can see why. But abandoning their mission to resupply us inside the headquarters? Unbelievable. And sure enough, the titans have swarmed them, so we can't go get more gas.

"Then we must take a chance and try and destroy the titans around the headquarters" Conny shouts as Jean glares at him, "we won't be any worse off than sitting here. The titans will be here before long. And if we keep on running, we'll just waste the gas we have. Without use of our manouver gear, we'll really be done for".

"I'm surprised to see you're using your head for once, Connie" Jean says as his gaze softens, his tone of voice proud, "but do you think we can do that, given our numbers here? Most of the veterans in the vanguard were killed. Which of us trainees could lead a suicide mission like that? Well, even if someone could, we can't fight the titans. I bet the gas supply room is chock full of three to four meter titans. Obviously, we can't refuel with them around".

"So we're doomed?" Conny asks as his shoulders droop.

"What a stupid life!" Jean complains as he sighs deeply, "if I'd known this would happen, I would've told them".

"Let's do it, everyone" Sasha says brightly, "come on, stand up. If we all work together, we'll be fine. I'll take the lead" she says as she looks at everyone and realises how beaten down they are as she spots Armin and runs over to him, "come on Armin. Let's all-".

"Reiner, what should we do?" Annie asks as she, Reiner and Bertolt all stand together.

"Nothing yet" Reiner says calmly, "if we do it, we do it all together".