Chapter 9 - Cry Me a River

Chapter Description: James agrees to play along. Peter prepares for an interview.

Winston-Winslow NYC Branch. July 20, 2006. Thursday night.

Neal arrived almost an hour early, because he'd grown tired of pacing in his loft. He'd thought he was too wired to be amused by anything, but the sight of Mozzie at the Win-Win reception desk surprised a laugh out of him.

"You look very... corporate," Neal said. He didn't often see Mozzie wearing a tie, unless it was a bowtie.

"And you've made an excellent sartorial choice as well," Mozzie said.

Neal glanced down at his long-sleeved Columbia T-shirt in the school's signature pale blue color. Like his jeans, the shirt was covered in paint spatters.

"The blue nearly matches your eyes," Mozzie continued, "which Ellen has said is the most striking feature you have in common with James. And the jeans declare a down-to-earth nature that will appeal to his own blue-collar background."

"Whereas a suit would have said I've aligned with the Caffrey side of my family tree?"

Ellen and Mike walked in, putting an end to Neal's thoughts about his attire. Ellen pulled him into a hug. "Oh, I've missed you!" she said. She and Neal walked into the lounge area where they made tea and chatted, while Mike, Mozzie, and Henry discussed the security measures.

The talk with Ellen soothed Neal's nerves, so that he didn't feel rattled when Mozzie announced that James was on his way up. Mike led the way to the huddle room, while Henry waited at the reception desk to greet James.

"The poker room?" Neal asked. They were in the huddle room that featured a poker table, along with cards and chips. He took a seat and shuffled a deck of cards.

"When I said we should put our cards on the table, Henry took me literally," Ellen said.

But not all of our cards, Neal thought. He'd left his engagement ring at home, and Ellen wasn't wearing her wedding ring. What will James be hiding?

The man of the hour followed Henry to the huddle room. When Henry stepped to the side. James stopped, his eyes widening. "Neal?" He looked at the others. "Kathryn?"

"It's Ellen these days," she said. "It's good to see you again."

"Is it?" he asked, and then he turned to Henry. "What's going on here?"

"You took me by surprise when you mentioned my father's involvement," Henry said. "I played along to get the information my client wanted. Afterward he agreed that pooling our resources was our best bet."

"Client?" James repeated.

Neal stood up. "Me. I hired Henry to find you and learn what you're doing in New York."

"And who's he?" James pointed at Mike.

"Well, I'm not the Irish mob," Mike said in his usual deadpan. "And I'm not a cop or other official. I used to be a marshal, and that's what I bring to the table. Once the rest of you figure out what you want to do next, I'll advise you on how or if the Marshals can help." He gestured to the empty seat beside him. "Take a seat."

James sat down but held himself apart, leaning back in his chair as he eyed the rest of the group warily. Neal sat down beside him, and Henry leaned against the doorframe.

"Each of you wants something," Mike said. "Let's start with that. Henry said to put our cards on the table. Neal, what do you want?"

Neal picked up the deck and did a quick trick, making it look like he'd pulled a card out of thin air. "Answers. Most of my life I heard lies about who I am." He looked pointedly at James. "And about who you were. Mom said you'd died a hero."