Korean Lesson 1

VOWELS

Hello ! This is the beginning of your new language learning experience ! Are you excited ? No ? Well you better get excited cause I'll have you reading Korean within the end of these first few chapters like a pro . Here we go !

In the Korean alphabet (Hangul), sounds are pronounced a little bit differently. Now, don't worry, it's not that big of a difference. The letters are just pronounced with a softer 'push' if that makes sense. But before I get more in depth with this, I want to actually teach you the letters.

VOWELS FIRST!

ㅏ = a (ball)

ㅓ = o (hong kong) *this is usually romanized as 'eo'!

ㅗ = o (poll) *if you listen closely while saying the two example words, they make slightly different sounds!

ㅜ = u (pool)

ㅣ = e/i (reef)

ㅡ = eu *say EUROPE without the slight 'y' at the beginning.

**

See ? Not that hard right ? But I'm not done, I still have to teach you the double vowels and diphthongs *haha diphthongs*

DOUBLE VOWELS!

* ALL ARE THE SAME AS NORMAL VOWELS BUT WITH 'Y' ADDED!

ㅑ = ya

ㅕ = yo

ㅛ = yo (remember the 'o' here sounds like the beginning 'o' in the word 'okay')

ㅠ = you *literally sounds like the word 'you'.

ㅐ = ae (make your 'way' to the front)

ㅒ = yae

ㅔ = eh (second)

ㅖ = yeh

and VOWELS NEVER GET DOUBLED!

**
DIPHTHONGS!

Here's where things start to get a little tricky... Really.

This is when vowels are paired with other vowels to make different sounds *sounds so scary oooo* < it's simpler than you think. This is where some good ol' memorization comes in.

ㅗ and ㅓ cannot be paired together. DOUBLE VOWELS CANNOT BE PAIRED EITHER! ㅜ and ㅏ cannot be paired together. Look..

ㅇ = silent (unless behind everything else, but we'll get to that later on)

와 = WA *cool right? Yeahhhh

왜 = WAE *sounds like 'way' without a 'y'

외 = Makes 'oiee' sound.

위 = WI

웨 = WEH

워 = WO *like wish

의 = UWI (ui) *LITERALLY JUST UI, LIKE SAYING 'WI (oui)' IN FRENCH WITHOUGHT SUCH EMPHASIS ON THE 'W' SOUND

Okay... Those are all of our diphthongs. Seriously, that's it for vowels :D ! Next, we are gonna be learning the consonants, I'll put them in the next chapter just so it's not confusing to some.

LEAVE FEEDBACK! VOTE IF IT HELPED! TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO MAKE IT BETTER FOR YOU!

안녕! Bye!