Just Fine Chapter 3

I don’t know what made me decide to go to Kendal's party. But here I am walking up to the door. Kendal's house is huge. The biggest in town I am sure. Kendal's mom, Patrice “Patty” Johnson, hit it big when she discovered a hair mayonnaise for natural hair years back and now Patty's Mayonnaise is a multi-million dollar brand. That's how Kendal got the house to herself almost every other weekend because her mom is always out on official business.

Music is blaring on the other side of the door, so I don’t bother to knock. I try the door knob and it’s unlocked so I open the door and stand there like a vampire waiting to be invited in. I scan the crowd for familiar faces and make a mental note to avoid them. No pity trips for me tonight.

“Hey Kiki! I am so excited you came!” Kendal scoops me up by my elbow and leads me to the kitchen where the music isn’t too loud. “This is no doubt the biggest party of-the-year. And thrown together by ya girl Kendal!” She grins real big and squints her eyes making me laugh.

“Yeah I reckon so. You’re the only one in school who throws these parties” I say leaning on the kitchen counter.

“Oh yea I am aren’t I! Hey I gotta get back and watch these hooligans and make sure they aren’t breaking shit. The good stuff is in the back of the fridge!” Kendal blows a kiss and hops out of the kitchen. I shake my head and turn to the fridge.

“Why is everything so huge in this house?” I ask myself as I hunt in the fridge for the ‘good stuff’. There is enough food in this fridge to put Feed the Children out of business. After moving mountains of food I find what I am looking for: Jones Soda. I don’t drink alcohol, so whenever Kendal throws her parties she makes sure I have my selection of Jones. I grab a Barry White and leave the kitchen to watch the scene. This party is pretty huge. There are kids here I have never seen before. I spot a couch in the corner of the room that looked like a good spot to watch and enjoy my jones. I shimmy and squeeze my way through the crowd and get slapped on the ass and almost spill my Jones. Finally reaching the couch I flop down and glare at the idiot who squeezed my ass. I was so focused on the idiot that I didn’t notice I had company on the couch.

“He did the same thing to me.” I turned and looked into the greenest eyes I have ever seen. I realized I should probably say something.

“Uh, Yeah…what an asshole.” I say, still staring. She smiles.

“I’m Riley but I go by Riles” She holds out a hand for me to shake and I take it. It’s so soft.

“I…uh…I’m Kira…”

“I think I saw you at the beach the other day…” she looks at me harder and takes in my whole body.

I started to burn inside. “…yeah I’m sure that was you I saw.” The chic I saw on the beach. So she had noticed me.

“Oh! Yeah I saw you too. Um do you swim?”

“Noooo not me. I’m terrified of the water. But you looked awesome out there.”

“I uh swim for the Lady Armadillos. Or er…I swam for them.” I took a sip of my Jones. Why am I so hot? The crowd parted like the red sea and out ran Kendal. She looked upset.

“Kendal what’s wrong?” I shot up from the couch and Kendal grabbed my free hand and dragged me through the parted crowd. I looked back to couch to catch another glimpse at Riley but she was gone.

“Girl you are not going to believe this.” Kendal shouted back at me. I realized she was taking me to the back of the house to the pool. When we finally stopped she pointed to the far corner of the pool. “Get his stupid ass.”

It was Jacob. And two other girls. Making out. You couldn’t tell where he ended and the girls began. Just a big soggy mess of flesh. I finished off the rest of my Jones and headed back into the house.

“Kiki! Where are you going? Aren’t you going to handle that?”

I toss the empty Jones bottle in the trash and shake my head. “The girls seem to have him under control. I’m calling it a night.”  I leave the house and head to my truck. There are so many cars parked outside of Kendal’s house I had to park down the street. I am not exactly sure how I should feel about what I just saw. I know i should feel pissed. Jealous. Sad. But I feel nothing. I just want to get home where life is still as I once knew it. When I get to my car there is someone waiting for me.

“Riley?”