Just Fine Chapter 8

We walked and we walked but I didn’t mind. Riley walked a little ahead of me and would flash back a brilliant smile every now and then. I liked the view back here. Her shirt barely touched the top of her shorts. Every time she would move her arms I could see the nape of her back. And her shorts were torn and I know if I stick my hand up them it wouldn’t take long until I felt some cheek. Riley stops and holds out her hand and I take it.

“Well, here we are,” she says with a sigh and points in front of her.

“A cemetery?” I didn’t understand why she would bring me here, “You wanted to show me a cemetery?”

“No, I want to show you something in the cemetery. Come on.”

“Waaiiit. Wait. What’s in the cemetery that you have to show me?”

Riley kisses my hand, “Trust me.”

We followed a gravel road for about ten minutes. It was eerie but beautiful. We stopped following the path and cut across the grass until we came to a headstone. It was massive and had a rose bush growing behind it. Riley sits Indian style in front of the headstone and  patted the grass next to her for me to sit. I sat down next to her a little wierded out until I read the names on the headstone. Nicholas and Louise Giametti.

“I didn’t leave home to pursue a modeling career. I left home because I didn’t have a home anymore. Like I said, I fell in love. Her name was Victoria. I thought she was in love with me too. We did everything together and the time we spent with each other was the best. She made me happy. But when word got out that we were in a lesbian relationship she denied it. I didn’t and everyone I knew alienated me. Except my parents. They held me so many nights when I couldn’t stop crying over the pain I was feeling. Two months later I was still tore up about what had happened so my parents decided it was best for me to leave town for a while and they planned a boat trip for us. But nothing went as planned,” Riley started sobbing and I pulled her into my arms and held her until she stopped shaking. When she composed herself she continued, “We came here because my father said the water is calmest. The week was supposed to be clear and beautiful. But on the third day there was a horrible storm. The water was coming up and rocking the boat so hard. My mother fell over board and my father jumped in to save her. I couldn’t see them anywhere. I couldn’t hear them. I called for them all night and after the storm had long gone, until I couldn’t yell any longer. I just curled up on the deck. I couldn’t believe what had happened. I don’t know how long I was out on the water until I was found.”

I didn’t know what to say. I wasn’t sure I should say anything at all. She was opening up to me about her past. I didn’t want to say something that would close that door. We sat in a comfortable silence in front of the headstone. Riley puts her hand on mine and looks at me.

“Kira, I haven’t felt in so long. That day I saw you on the beach shook the cobwebs off my heart and when I saw you again at the party, my heart started beating again. You brought me back to life Kira. And it scares me that I these feelings for you so soon. But what frightens me the most is that you can also break my heart. And I don’t know if my heart can take any more hurt.”

I bring my hand to Riley’s cheek and wipe away a tear. I look into her eyes, those green eyes searching mine for an answer. I remember when I first meet Riley, how her eyes had mesmerized me and I smile.

“I love you Riley Giametti,” and then I kiss her with all the love I have.