Just Fine Chapter 13 End

As we pull up to the small building I inhale deeply and kill the engine. Riley lays her hand lightly on my leg and nods to reassure me that I can do this. I grip the cracked leather of the steering wheel and bow my head slightly. So much has happened in these past months. So much that I should be crippled with the weight of it all. But here I am still standing. Riley squeezes my leg and I turn my head and look into those brilliant green eyes.

“Ready love?” Riley asks with a smile.

I nod my head. “With you I’m always ready.”

We exit the truck and Riley puts an arm around me as we walk up to the door. I push the door open and step inside to darkness. As the door closes behind us I grab on tight to Riley. I didn’t like the feeling of this and it made my stomach knot. There’s a flick of a switch somewhere and I’m momentarily blinded by the sudden burst of light.

“SURPRISE!!” When my vision returns I see the swim team and coach standing around the pool whooping and clapping.

“What’s going on here?!” I ask with my mouth wide open. I look at Riley like she could give me the answer I was looking for and she just smiles.

“Well, when we came to practice last week none of us felt comfortable swimming in the pool after what happened.” Tish stepped forward and the girls moved quickly to fill her spot. What are they hiding?

“So Coach suggested we clean it up a bit. Give it a new face.” Tish looks back at Coach and she nods. Tish continues, “And I suggested we honor you Kira, our Big Fish.” She holds out her hand and I take it. As she leads me to the pool the girls start to divide until the pool was visible.

The pool was empty and had been repainted a cool teal with silver speckles that reflect in the light beautifully. And at the bottom a giant armadillo with a big fish tail where its hind legs would be was painted. I chuckled at the sight. And around the armadillo are 15 pairs of purple foot prints all different sizes. There seemed to be a space for one more pair.

Coach steps beside me and pats me on my back. “The girls and I thought it would be the perfect way to welcome you back to the team.” She smiles big at me and I embrace her with a hug then the girls join in.

I looked up at Coach Sable and she wiped a thumb at my wet face. I look back at Riley and she has most beautiful smile on her face. And I couldn’t have been happier.