forty-five

They wouldn't know if their efforts in the Throne Room had done the trick until many weeks later. It would take time to know; Jacaera would have to miss her monthly course for more than one month to be sure.

Though it was still present in her mind, they were still trying, there was something more important that came up. Something that took her mind completely off of it.

"Your Grace, your esteemed guests have arrived."

Jacaera immediately felt better. Immediately felt happy and contented. Any doubt, any regret of how she'd gone about getting her throne was gone.

Luke and Rhaena. A little dragon curled around Rhaena's neck.

Baela and Jacaera both had someone important to them return. After months apart. She'd always kept Baela close, so it was no surprise when Luke and Rhaena showed up while they were together.

Without care that she was the Queen, Jacaera ran to embrace her only remaining brother. Baela did the same.

He looked good, all things considered. His time being fostered in the Vale had allowed him to heal fully from the wounds he was given by Aemond.

The arms of all of his clothing had been tied up and off for him and he'd decided on a glittering ruby to fill the socket of the eye Aemond demanded. He would be marked. But Luke had the last laugh since Aemond was dead.

Jacaera pulled him into herself and hugged him extremely tightly. She just needed to feel him in her arms. Knowing he was safe, knowing he would continue to be safe.

Corlys watched the reunion of his grandchildren fondly. Despite the tragedies, he had what he'd always wanted.

Legacy.

One of them was Queen, two of them would rule Driftmark when he was gone.

"I'm so sorry it's been so long," Jacaera said as she hugged him. "But I promise; we will never part like that again. Not while I rule."

Luke pulled back to look at his sister. One of his worried eyes on her again. The feeling was somewhat comforting. But she knew that this was the least worried he'd been since the war started.

His only sister was still alive. After so many restless nights and days terrified for her, terrified she would die and it would all be left to him, he finally had her again.

"Good," was all he said, looking up at the crown on her head. "It looks good on you. Right. Mother would be proud."

Jacaera smiled at him. She hoped Rhaenyra would be. Maybe she wasn't sure about it yet. Jace's absence still weighed heavily on her.

"His words are true, Your Grace. You belong on the Throne," Rhaena added. She first smiled at Luke and then at Jacaera. It was already clear to Jacaera that their time in the Vale together bonded them.

They would make a lovely match when they married.

The dragon around Rhaena's neck also tugged at Jacaera's heart. That was the only baby dragon left, the only other dragon alive other than Sheepstealer. If Nettles was still alive with him somewhere.