Before tbe Accident

It was the summer after my sophomore year, things were good

It was the summer after my sophomore year, things were good. I had finished the semester with all A's and Jeff agreed to drive me wherever I want this summer.

Me and Jeff had always been close. Like, closer than most brother sister duos. Jeff was only a year older than me, so we always grew up super duper close.

Once school had let out I was expecting late night bonfires every night, and going to the beach regularly. None of that really happened.

What did end up happening though, was late night baseball games. Jeff had played baseball his entire life, me learning, that way I didn't feel left out.

For the majority of June, Jeff had invited his friends over to play baseball with us in the grassy plot not too far from our house.

One evening, almost the entire Liberty High baseball team came over. Zach, Scott, Bryce, Monty, and more that I didn't really know.

Scott and Jeff were best friends, so I knew him the most.

"Hey Paigey!" Scott said, running up giving me a hug. He acted as if I didn't see him yesterday.

"Hey Scotty! I don't think you'll be able to hit my fastball tonight." I said teasing him.

The guys, not Jeff and Scott, believed a girl shouldn't be playing with them, so they made me pitcher. Jokes on them, because I have one hell of an arm.

As the evening went on, the more we played, the more we all laughed.

"Hey babe, go get us some beers, we're thirsty!" I heard Bryce yell from the outfield.

"Hell no, you go get it." I yelled back to him. "And I'm not your babe, freak!"

The guys burst into laughter. It was about 10 pm by now and as much as I hated to agree with Bryce, we were thirsty, and hungry for that matter.

"Everyone let's just head back to mine and hang out tonight!" Jeff announced.

I looked at him, wondering what he was doing.

Jeff walked over to me after noticing the glance I had given him.

"Lighten up P, mom and dad aren't home, and it's just us and the guys. Plus, I'm not allowing anyone to drink or go near you." He reassured me, saying that last part while glaring over at Bryce.

I nodded and added into the fun by telling everyone to join me in the pool.

Only some baseball players came back to the house. But that was okay, smaller parties are also fun.

As everyone walked back to our house, I overheard Monty and Scott's conversation behind me.

"Yeah, she's amazing, but you know Jeff would actually kill you." Scott said with a slight chuckle.

"Yeah I know, but she's so funny and she's better at baseball than all of us!" Monty laughed.

I didn't intend on eavesdropping, but after what Monty had said, I knew that they were talking about me.

"That's true," Scott laughed. "But let me tell you this, you're not just going to be able to 'win her over' Monty." Scott added.

I kept listening to see if they'd say anything else until my train of thought was interrupted by an annoying Bryce Walker.

"What kind of bathing suit are you gonna wear in the pool babe?" Bryce questioned, smirking at me. "I'd prefer if you didn't wear one at all." he said and winked.

"Fuck off Walker, you disgust me." I snapped back at him quickly.

"But cmon babe, you know you wanna fuck me." Bryce said confidently. That's when I felt a hand grab my ass.

"I said fuck off Walker!" I screamed in his face, right before slapping him and speed walking towards Jeff.

"What the fuck!" Bryce yelled back.

I flipped him off and I heard Scott laugh.

"The fuck you laughing at Reed? She doesn't wanna fuck you either, and she's so fucking up tight. I'm out of here, have fun at your guys' little pool party!" Bryce yelled before storming off.

We finally arrived at our house after about a half hour walk. I told Jeff I was gonna go change into a bathing suit and I would meet everyone out back.

Once I got upstairs I put on a red bikini set, and tied by hair up in a bun. I went downstairs and went out back to where everyone was.

I immediately felt Monty staring at me, I looked over to him and gave him a small smile.

Zach had brought a flask of alcohol, that he appeared to have been drinking from all night.

A tipsy and happy Zach decided it would be fun to play a game of chicken, except he didn't wanna play, he wanted to watch us play.

Scott got on top of Jeff's shoulders and I got on top of Monty.

"Keep your hands in a secure place Montgomery." I heard Jeff say. I couldn't help but laugh at it.

"Okay, on the count of three, one...two...three!" Zach said goofily.

Me and Scott pushed and pushed and pulled at each other's arms until Scott started to slip. Jeff couldn't hold up Scott much longer, and after just the right amount of force both Scott and Jeff were submerged in the water.

Me and Monty high fived and I laughed up a storm as Scott and Jeff started to blame eachother for why they lost.

That was one of the best nights I had in a long time.