Chapter 12

Alex entered the room shortly after Butterfingers and gently closed the door behind him. He leaned against the door with a knowing smirk and gave me a burning look, adding to my internal panic about what would occur. Could we have a fistfight? Possibly. Could he be planning to punish me? Maybe. Could this end in a non-platonic way that may make Butterfingers more confused? Most likely. Am I going to back out from my stance? Absolutely not.

"Juliana," Butterfingers' voice seemed strained. His eyes were wild, and his body relaxed. "Please explain to me your stance on how you're not acting like a child?" His voice held interest but was laced with an authoritative tone, something I'm not opposed to.

"Listen," I held my hands up while grinning at him. "I'm not a child you can put to bed or make choices for. I'm an adult and can make my own choices about my bedtime." I held in a laugh that was bubbling to the surface. His gaze darkened. "Yes, you take care of me more than I ever ask for. And yes, you do make sure I go to bed every night safely; however, you don't get to control me." His eyebrows raised, his gaze daring me with humor. Alex observed as the interaction unfolded.

"So you're saying that," He had a half-smirk, his eyes burning through me. My heart raced, and I could feel the excitement building. "Even though we make sure you're in bed, occasionally tuck you in, and ensure you're taken care of," He paused and licked his lips with a smirk. "You're not a kid; you're an adult?" He watched for my reaction like a hawk watching prey.

"Yes," I said quietly, attempting to keep the panicked laugh in. I could feel my face warm up, my ears burned from the embarrassment, and my heart beat out of my chest at the anticipation. My mind didn't feel like it was working; it felt like white noise in my head. "But, I don't like being told what to do, and you know that. I don't think it's fair to make me pay for that." I pointed at him.

"So," He took a sharp breath and seemed to think carefully of his response. "You think using my government name, giving me an attitude, and attempting to run from me would be the best option?" His eyebrows furrowed, his eyes focused on me sharply, and I could feel the tension in the room rise.

"Don't forget her attempts at the power-play and her picking on me," Alex chimed in with a grin. I shot him a dark look.

"Don't add on, you balding prick," I snapped automatically, earning a dark look from Alex in addition to Butterfingers' scoff. That may have been a lousy retort, but I'll stand by it. "We all agreed that it isn't acceptable to punish me," I stated with certainty. However, if it's Butterfingers and Alex, I feel I'm not being punished; it's more of a funishment, especially with the current situation.

"Ah," Alex said smartly. "There it is. Is that the play you're using?" He pushed himself off the door and walked calmly over. I could feel my face and ears burn hotter than before, and I looked between Butterfingers and Alex before Alex leaned close to my face. I gripped the bottom of the sweatshirt I was wearing in anticipation and nervousness, and the smile dropped from my face. 

"I don't think this would be considered a punishment. I wonder if your goal is to receive something from us, considering your dislike of the twins currently," He looked from my eyes to my lips and back before taking a gentle breath. "I think you're enjoying this a little too much, Princess." His tone was loaded, making me hesitate.