Chapter 7: A Hearth's Warming Tail

Starlight Glimmer's P.O.V.

So, I guess it's that time of the year again, huh? Most ponies I hear call it, "the most wonderful time of the year". What am I talking about? Heart's Warming Eve, of course. It's a time where ponies spend time with their friends and family, endeavor in some fun family traditions, and most notoriously exchanging gifts! Hm? . . .You don't call it that? What do you call it then?

. . .

. . .Christmas? That. . . well, I guess other worlds have a different terminology, so I'm not too surprised by that. Anyway, Hearth's Warming celebrates the anniversary of the day the three pony tribes collectively joined together and founded Equestria with the ancient princess, (M/N). Sure sounds wonderful, huh? Well. . . for most ponies, it would be, but for me? Uh. . . let's just say I'm not particularly fond of the holiday. Not because of what the holiday is, but more of just my personal experience. My family's a bit complex, that's the best way I could describe it.

. . .

. . .You want me to elaborate don't you? *sigh* Well, alright. Let's see. . . Where do I begin?

Equestria, 6 years ago. . .

As you guys already know, my home is Sire's Hollow, a great place for many. . . but a huge prison made of loneliness for me. Things did get worse the more that Sunburst wasn't around to help me with my magic studies or even to just be the only friend that I could be happy around. My dad still keeps homeschooling and treating me like I'm a foal which didn't exactly help me from isolating myself from others.

So as most of you probably know by now, I lived in Sire's Hollow. It's a good place for most ponies, but me? Well. . .it was more of just solitary confinement, to say the least. It wasn't easy for me to thrive without Sunburst by my side. I didn't have any other ponies to turn to aside from my dad. I was homeschooled with a guy saw me as a foal no matter what my age was, and that didn't help much with my social life.

Yeah, it sounds bad, I know, but I guess it's good that I had my dad to spend time with, even if it wasn't a complete family. Still, it was hard for both of us without her there with us. You thought (Y/N) was the only one living with grief? I lost my mom when I was just a filly, so I never had a real family to celebrate Hearth's Warming with. In fact, I didn't celebrate it at all for years, but I'm trying to make the best of it now. I'm grateful for the family I do have, and I don't want to bring it down with memories of my past family.

Me however. . . I was just walking and passing by with a deadpanned frown on my face while levitating books and coffee that I clearly got from the library. I had on a purple scarf and purple beanie with a cyan puff on the tip.

So, let me talk about one of those days. It was a day Sire's Hollow was covered in snow from top to bottom, but it evens out with all the festive decorations the ponies spent time working on days prior. Speaking of ponies, some of them were still in the process of decorating their own homes with a little bit of help here and there. Foals were playing around with the snow. You know, like building snowponies, snowball fights, stuff like that, and then there were some ponies asking for charity donations.

As for me, I was kinda the Negative Nancy out there with the scowl I was walking around with. I was coming out of the library with some books and coffee which was pretty much my daily routine. Only difference being the fact that I was wearing a purple scarf and a beanie of that color with a cyan puff on the top.

Yeah, my life was kinda boring, but in that time, I'd grown to accept that fact. Anyway, on my way, one of those charity representatives approached me. Wasn't. . .really sure why nor was I particularly interested in so.