Chapter 5: No Second Prances

Starlight Glimmer's P.O.V.

You know, when (Y/N) and Twilight decided to make me their pupil like Sunburst said, I felt honored and I still do. That's not something the Princess of Friendship or the Hero of Equestria would pick just anypony for. Even still, I still feel like an outcast to everypony around me because of my past actions. I'm sure some will tell me that they're guilty of some things, but. . . have they ever enslaved an entire village against their will? Honestly, the odds of that are pretty low. As far as I'm aware, I'm the pony who has done that unfortunately. . . they could relate to being guilty, but nopony else can relate to me doing something so heinous. . . It's. . .it's really hard to let something like this go, and I doubt that it's going to leave my mind for a while. You wanna know the reason why? *sigh* Alright, fine. . . I'll explain the origins of Our Town, but you're not gonna like what you hear.

Months before the events of Season 5. . .

Our Town was a sacred place or at least. . . I believed it was, but knowing what I know now, it was the furthest thing from that. It wasn't sacred to have everypony without their Cutie Marks, especially since I stole them myself and brainwashed everypony that lived there. Though, my methods of achieving this might be a bit of a shocker. As intelligent and devious as I may appear, I couldn't form this type of place on my own without any knowledge. I went through book after book to see if there was some kind of method to remove a pony's Cutie Mark. What I discovered was that Mage Meadowbrook knew a spell a long time ago that made it possible. I couldn't tell you how overjoyed I was when I first saw it. Figuring out how to do the spell was a piece of cake, but the real challenge was trying to rationalize a mass group of ponies that Cutie Marks caused disharmony like with my own experience back then.

Our Town didn't start out as a large community either. I figured that if I wanted something like this to happen, then I would need to maintain some kind of social relationship with a few ponyfolk. . . However, my motive of being their friend wasn't really something that I was proud of at the time. I just had Double Diamond, Sugar Belle, Night Glider, and Party Favor with me at the time. . . and I attempted to sway all four of them out of favoring cutie marks.

I. . . lied to them that day. I told them to come hang out at the desert with me for a little get together, but this was only the beginning for what I wanted to achieve. It was nighttime around the area. We were all sitting together around a campfire with tents set up for each one of us. I wouldn't be able to execute this, if I had my Cutie Mark in the first place. So, as you've probably seen already, I used some makeup to make a fake equal sign Cutie Mark on my flank. I think all of them were well aware of it, but couldn't really find the time to talk about it. Though, Sugar Belle was the first pony to actually bring this up.

Sugar Belle: Starlight, we've been friends for a pretty long time, but there's just been something on my mind for a while. Why don't you have a Cutie Mark like the rest of us?

Double Diamond: Are. . .you having trouble discovering your true calling? We'd be more than willing to help you if you want.

Of course, considering what I thought at the time, that question irritated me, but I tried not to show it. I just rolled my eyes before giving a forced smile.

Starlight Glimmer: Believe me, I'd tried to find my true talent like the next pony, and I did. . .after a bit of time. Kind of a late bloomer.

Night Glider: So. . . why do you have that little equal sign Cutie Mark then?

Starlight Glimmer: Okay, I may sound a little crazy here, but. . .Cutie Marks aren't always a positive thing. It wasn't really something I ever got excited over, and there wasn't anything joyful about it either.