Chapter Nine

"Owen," Gabe busted through the door of the Furt, out of breath.
"Mhm?" Owen turned away from his desk where he was scribbling down notes.
"We have a bit of an issue..."
"What is it?" Owen could see there was great nervousness and stress in Gabe's face and voice.
"Well, um," Gabe gulped, "Whilst we were about to investigate the collapsed mine, well, um, Hayden got a panic attack because she thought she saw some kind of monster laying behind Charlotte..."
"Okay..." Owen replied, not quite knowing what the real issue was, "is she fine now?"
"Well, that's where the problem is, she fell to the ground in a seizure, she hit a couple rocks as she feel, and now has serious cuts."
"Goddammit!" Owen complained as he jumped out of his chair, "Can't I catch a break around here?!"
Gabe and Owen rushed down to the scene.
"Uh..." Owen was surveying the area, and checking her vital signs, "dammit," he mumbled.
"What is it?" James asked; James had an army style hair cut with a camouflage 'East Coat Lifestyle' hoodie, which he never seemed to take off.
"She's nearly dead, her heart is stopping.... uhhh..." Owen swiped a bit of sweat off his forehead. He looked around and saw the EpiPen James had around his waist because he was allergic to peanuts. He remembered from his lifeguard training that an EpiPen injects adrenalin into a person's body giving them time to bring the person to the hospital; and that's exactly what Owen needed to attempt to save her, more time.
"James!" Owen demanded, "give me your EpiPen."
"Wait?!" James made a face of disgust towards Owen, "why the heck do you need my EpiPen? And what if I need it?"
"James," Owen said in a stern voice as he held out his hand, "now."
"Ugh, fine." James responded and handed it to him.
Owen injected the EpiPen and checked Hayden's vital signs.
"Gabe, come here." Owen asked.
Gabe bent down next to Owen, "What is it?"
"Go the the A.E.D, and be quick about it."
Gabe rushed off to under the tree to get it.
When he got there, he opened a secret door that revealed some of the more valuable things, one of which was the A.E.D; Gabe grabbed it and hurried off.
When Gabe got back he noticed Hayden was rapped in makeshift bandages made from clothes, which were generously donated by people in the group.
Jordan, who was standing in the crowd gasped as he saw Gabe handing the A.E.D to Owen, "Why are you using it on her? And not when Allan was hurt?" He asked.
"Well," Owen responded, "Allan was still pretty much alive, Hayden however, is not. If it wasn't for the EpiPen she'd be dead already."
Owen checked the A.E.D.
"Is everything okay?" Gabe asked.
"No, Owen muttered, "no electricity means these are useless..."
"Well then," Gabe looked nervous, "how are you going to save her?"
Owen turned to face Gabe, "You know Frankenstein?" Owen asked, "kinda like that."
* * *
Elliot and Isobel were sitting in a small area filled with flowers, the air smelled sweet, and butterflies where fluttering around them.
"I got you this," Elliot said as he handed Isobel a can.
"What is it?" She asked.
"It's Honey, that's almost as sweet as you."
"Aw," she blushed and kissed him on the cheek; them poured some of the honey onto berries that they had in a bowl that Isobel had carved out of wood.
"This is nice," Elliot lay back on the bead of flowers, Isobel with him.
"This," Isobel said as she slipped her hand into Elliot's, "is amazing."
They both looked off at the setting sun, that painted a beautiful sea of colour across the sky.
Kirsten rolled down the small slope, followed by Allan and hit Isobel.
"Ow! What the heck?!" Isobel complained.
"We're just playin'." Allan said as she laid down and rapped his arm around Kirsten.
All four of them were in awe from the beauty of the sunset; they didn't say anything, well because they didn't have to.
* * *
It was the next morning and Gabe was yelling at everybody to get into another small room the carved into the hill incase they ever needed protection.
The wind howled, blowing over huts, and carrying the icy rain to every nook and cranny.
"Everyone in! Now!"
"Gabe!" Owen yelled through the wind, "come here, now!"
Gabe ran over to Owen, the mud splashing below his feet.
"What is it?" Gabe asked.
"I need you to carry Hayden to the top of this tree while I carry the supplies."
"Which tree?"
"That one!" Owen pointed up towards the biggest tree in the area.
"We'll never make it!" Gabe argued.
"We don't have to climb..." Owen once again pointed to a smaller tree, which the other day was pulled backward and tied to the ground with a rope by some other boys.
Gabe and Owen climbed to the to the top part of the tree, which was only about five feet off the ground now that it had been bent backward.
"Ready?" Owen yelled so that Gabe could hear him through the monstrous wind.
"Ready as I'll ever be!"
Owen took out his pocket knife and cut the rope. When the tree sprung back upright, all the built up energy sent Owen and Gabe flying.
"Aw, fuck!" Owen hit the large tree with a thump, followed by Gabe.
"We're nearly at the top!" Gabe exclaimed as he held Hayden over his shoulders.
When they got to the top, Owen shoved a metal pole into the tree and attached wires to it which were attached to the A.E.D.
"Get ready!" Owen yelled as he placed the A.E.D on Hayden.
The sky above them was dark, and they both were now soaked. The dark clouds swirled around in a circle like a tornado, as a lightning bolt crackled down through the sky and hit the pole. Hayden's body started violently shaking as Owen and Gabe were thrown from the tree; Owen landed on a pile of potatoes, most of which were now smashed; Gabe managed to grab onto the side of the cliff. He pulled himself up to the top and stood up and started laughing.
He turned around, and to his horror saw a car heading strait for him. The car hit Gabe dead on, sending him crashing back to the ground at the bottom of the cliff.
You could hear the people in the car scream as they flew through the air and landed directly where the bus had landed when it crashed.
Everybody ran over to see who was in the car; the driver had died in the crash, the driver's wheel now covered in blood. But in the back seat where two kids who looked to be roughly to be everybody else's age.
"Wait a second," Taylor said, Taylor had long strait brown hair and blue eyes. "Is that Molly? An-and, John?!"
* * *
It was later that night when the storm had stopped and Molly and John where taken care of and given new clothes.
"Tonight!" Owen announced, "We are celebrating the gift of life, along with the arrival of our new friends!"
The crowd applauded.
"So with that, me and a group of people have set up this for us all..."
There was a cleared out area with a hand made table that had tea, and fruit with honey ( curtesy of Isobel ).
Mason jars hung from string dangling from trees, each filled with fireflies which gave the area an almost magical glow.
The song 'Stay with me' played off someone's phone. Couples slow danced together, while other people just swayed back and fourth; it was just, peaceful. People weren't mobbing the couples dancing, taking pictures and giggling, they were just, at peace, if you will.
"You know," Allan said to Kirsten as they danced together, "this whole experience has really made me think differently about things; how delicate and precious life is."
"Me too." A tear rolled down Kirsten's face and she pulled Allan even closer. "I'm scared." She whispered in his ear, trying to hold back her tears.
"Me too." Allan responded.
* * *
Chapter ten out now!