Chapter Two

The camp was nearly finished; it had a wall made of small dead trees and branches surrounding the dozen or so huts that were comprised of sticks and branches in a wigwam pattern covered in fir tree needles. The needles were also used as bedding in the huts, seeing as their only purpose was to sleep 2 people each, they didn't have to be massive. There was also a larger, building that was the 'hospital' so to say, in it was a bed made of fir tree needles and branches, with a table and a log as a chair.
Owen walked in carrying Elliot.
"Owen, how's Elliot doin'?" Gabe asked.
"Well he's not great... the injury to his head was pretty serious," Owen replied as he laid Elliot down on the bed, "but anyways; you did a great job organizing the building of this place!"
"Thanks! It's not quite done yet, if- well" he gulped, "if we're going to be stuck here for a while then um, I wanted to make a storage building underground, along with a smoke house for food and some barracks incase-"
"Gabriel," Owen interrupted, "It's only been a couple of hours. Plus, if like you said, we're going to be stuck here we can't waist our energy before we has sustainable food source." He paused, "I think our best bet is to make some spears and send out a group to go hunting. I'm trusting you can do this?"
"Yup, okay," Gabe started to walk out the door, "I'll talk to you later." He waved and left.
* * *
Isobel had gotten Kirsten to come into the woods with her to look for herbs.
"I'm sorry about what happened to Elliot," Kirsten paused for a moment and looked at Isobel.
"It's not like we could have done anything about it; don't worry about it. I'm sure Owen has everything under control." Isobel said trying to act casual, but on the inside she felt like she was going to break.
"I guess," Kirsten could tell that Isobel was in a lot of emotional pain; girls can do that you know, they can practically read each others minds.
"Well I think we have enough," Isobel said after a long period of silence, "and plus it's getting dark out."
"Okay then, let's head back!" Kirsten replied.
* * *
Back at camp they had set up a fire; they had also set up logs around the fire where most people sat, talking about the events that happened today.
"Did you hear about Elliot?" Sam asked,
"Of course," Shaw replied, "who hasn't?"
"Why don't you just use your phone?" Sam said,
"I already tried," Katelyn butted in, "and it didn't work." she said this with quite annoyance in her voice.
"We could sing campfire songs?" Hannah announced,
"No ones in the mood Hannah," Allan said as he saw Isobel and Kirsten coming through the gate. "Kirsten!" He said with a sigh of relief as he ran up and rapped his arms around her.
"Where's Owen?" Isobel asked,
"In with Elliot." Gabe answered.
Isobel got the other herbs from Kirsten and let her and Allan go off to a tent, not caring about anything except Elliot.
* * *
Owen looked up from the table when he heard someone walk in,
"Oh, hey Isobel. I see you have brought the herbs, thanks for that by the way."
"No problem, I'd do anything for Elliot." She mumbled
"That's cute," Owen remarked, not really caring because he was too busy getting the tea ready.
"It's okay," Isobel whispered in Elliot's ear, "You're in good hands,"
"Here the tea is ready," Owen poured the sweet smelling water into a small cup,
"Um, Owen?" Isobel asked,
"Mhm?"
"Do you think it would be okay to look after Elliot for the rest of the night? You've done enough work today; really, I insist."
Owen got up and with a small smile left the room.
* * *
Owen sat down at the bonfire and socialized with people for a while until the giggling of Allan and Kirsten interrupted everyone.
Allan walked and sat down on one of the logs with Kirsten; his face was covered with smeared lipstick, Kirsten's lipstick.
"Having fun I see you two?" Gabe remarked with a little chuckle.
"Whaaaat?" Allan answered,
"Noooo..." Kirsten added as they both looked at each other and laughed.
"Well, everybody," Owen started, "choose someone you'd like to share a hut with for the night; and I don't want to see opposite genders in the same tent," a couple people silently laughed, "I don't want to deal with that sort of thing right now; and plus, tomorrow we're sending out a hunting squad, and I don't want my hunters all wibbly-wobbly after being covered in kisses, you can do that on your own time."
* * *
Later that night Allan woke up to some rustling coming from around the camp. He got up out of his hut making sure not to wake Mykeo ( the person he was sharing a hut with ). He stood up and looked around, the fire was dying so it was hard to see. He looked in the 'hospital' to see that Isobel had fallen asleep kneeling next to Elliot with her head resting on his chest.
Allan could make out some kind of creature moving around the outer huts, and it wasn't a person.
Kirsten, Allan thought, she was sleeping in the tent that that creature was stalking. Allan got close and could see that the creature was a coyote.
Allan got closer, until he was right behind it; he was ready to leap on it, but he wasn't quick enough and it spun around and slashed him across the face.
"Argh!" He mumbled, he didn't want to start a commotion by waking everyone up. He backed up and as he did he picked up a rock about the size of a large flashlight and in one swift motion threw it at the coyote. It squealed as the rock smashed it's face in; it lay on the ground barely alive, as Allan walked up to it, his face now dripping in blood.
"Nice try," he said, "but she's mine." He lowered his foot snapping the coyote's neck.
"Allan," Kirsten whispered from her hut; Allan walked over, "Thank you,"
"Don't mention it," Allan replied with a smile,
"Allan?" Kirsten asked,
"Ya?" Allan answered,
"I-I think that, um, well if it's okay with you that we um," she paused, "well you know how we're wheeling?"
"Ya what about it?" At this moment just about a million things were flying through Allan's head.
"Well maybe we could um, well-"
Allan interrupted, "Kirsten, will you be my girlfriend?"
"Of course you bloody rascal, you!" She jumped up and hugged Allan, the they both went back to their huts and slept for the rest of the night.
* * *
In the morning people were shocked to see Allan sitting by the fire, slow-roasting a skinned coyote.
"Holy crap Allan!" Kurt bellowed, "Where the hell chu get that?"
Allan heroically smiled, yet tried to act chill like it was no big deal. "You know, I just killed it... with my hands, my bare hands."
"Well how ever you got it, that's good," Gabe interrupted, "it'll give us time to get ready to hunt,"
"At least two days." Owen added.
"Good," Hayden stated, "It'll give me time to train these wimps." She was the tallest girl in the class, with wavy ombré hair and green eyes.
She took out a bow she made from a twig and some twine and shot a make-shift arrow directly at the cooking coyote.
The arrow hit the roasting animal dead centre in it's temple.
"Head shot," she cleared her throat, "let's get started."
* * *
Chapter three out now!