Chapter Twenty-Six

"Oh, that's it? Their name?" I scuff, following him as he paces the small confined space. Of everything he could possibly know, he gave me the least valuable bit of what he has. He continues pacing in silence, his eyes ransacking the space faster than he can pack his bag. "You're seriously not going to give me anything? Just what they call themselves?"

"I'm trying to tell you, knowing anymore isn't going to help. It'll just make everything harder." He's quick to dismiss my every attempt to get any insight. It's hard to believe him though. Since when did ignorance save people? Ignorance is what got me infected in the first place, what pushes me to run when I don't know what possibilities lie ahead.

"Whatever is out there could hurt my family. Just give me something that could help." I plead, digging my nails into the palm of my hand. Guilt eats at my insides. If these people are as dangerous as he says, who's to say they won't go for Ruby? This also could have been avoided had I just done what I was told and went back. But, if I hadn't ran, I would've never known about what's been out here all this time.

He pauses, gaping down at his tattern and patched boots. "I said no. You aren't prepared for what's out there."

"You don't know me well enough to decide that!" I shout, and he stops mid stride. "I have no idea who you are, who they are, or what's really going on. All I know is you are hiding something." his shoulders tense for a split second before sagging. He turns to face with a heavy sigh.

"You're right." He admits, but I can't hear him over my growing anger.

"I'm so tired of people thinking they get to decide what I am capable of or what I can handle. Only I get to decide that." My voice breaks as I jet my finger out and poke his chest. He stands firm, looking at me with his full attention.

"You're right. I'm sorry." His expression softens. It isn't until I watch him nod along, and then wait in silence for me to continue, that I realize where his intentions are. "So, ask me, and I'll do my best to answer." Taking a deep breath, I roll my shoulders back and straighten my posture. My mind, while still racing around the mysterious danger he speaks of, relaxes merely at his readiness to listen. To involve me instead of exclude me. Yet, I've learned enough to know better than to trust a stranger.

"Start with your name." I shrug, offering a half smile as I lean against the wall.

"Call me Azrael." He answers, eyes dropping to his hands as he fiddles with his knife. The name feels familiar, like a looming darkness just a few steps behind, but his overall aura is the polar opposite; mysterious, yes, but oh so full of light. He hides it well behind this tough , untouchable facade.

"Okay, Azrael. And the Brotherhood. Who are they? What do they want?"

"I haven't got a clue what they want. And I only know a sliver of who they are." He chuckles, throwing the knife at the table he leans against. The handle shakes as the blade stays stuck into the wood. He pulls it back, shimmying it free, before throwing it at the wooden surface again. I tilt my head to the side, shooting him a deadpan glare and he takes it as the push to continue. "I mean it. I only know of the group I ran into, but I know there's more. And I wasn't exactly one of them, so ain't much else to say about it."

I shake my head in disbelief. I've heard of little groups forming, senselessly killing and looting. There were safeguards in place to keep my people safe in the past. But eventually, those kinds of people didn't last a fight against those who sought out the good in the world. No matter how many had banded together. It's hard to believe someone has managed to do it now. There hasn't even been word of a group like this for over a decade. "But, you've encountered them before? Like up close?"