Part V: The Balance Of Life And Death, Over Cups Of Coffee.

“Tried to kill yourself, huh?” Matilda asked, leaning over the counter toward Kettu. His gaze shot over to her. Nina had excused herself to the restroom and in the awkward silence, Matilda came out with that. Kettu stared at her in bewilderment, unable to bring himself to say anything. “Nina has a soft spot for anyone suffering, and given that she said that you and her met on a bridge, it doesn’t exactly take a detective to put the pieces together and draw a conclusion.”

“I . . .” Kettu stammered, lowering his gaze to his coffee, which was running low. He couldn’t bring himself to say much after that. He regretted coming here, he just wanted to walk out the door, make his way back to the bridge, and finish what he had started before Nina got in the way.

“Will you stop interrogating him?” Nina’s voice rang out as the ladies’ room door squealed shut behind her. Matilda looked up at her.

“Another tortured soul, this one?” Matilda thumbed in Kettu’s direction. Kettu hid his face in the palms of his hands. This couldn’t be happening.

“He was going to jump off the bridge when we met, Matilda, now mind your own business.”

“I’ll mind my own business when you realize this isn’t doing you any favours, Nina. Remember Pablo? That sad Italian exchange student that you decided to take under your wing and help out? How’d that work out for him?”

“Matilda, not here, not now.” Nina snarled. Through his fingers, Kettu saw her facial expression. No wonder she thought she was a wolf, she had a fierceness about her that demanded respect and admiration, a lot like the animal she thought herself as. He sat in silence as the two continued to argue, and sighed, getting out of his chair.

“And where do you think you’re going?” Matilda barked at him.

“Home.” Kettu gathered up his guitar.

“Sit down!” Nina snarled. Kettu glared back at her.

“Why?” Kettu asked, walking toward the door, “It’s obvious that I’m just another life for you to save, and it seems all I’m doing here is causing you two to argue with each other. Thanks for the coffee, Nina.”

Before he could leave, he felt a pair of hands clasp down on the back of his shoulders.

“Kettu, I’m sorry. I honestly do want to help you.” Nina said softly behind him.

“Why?” Kettu asked.

“I’ll admit, some of my reasons are selfish, but I really think that everyone on this earth has something to contribute, or something that makes them special.”

“Snowflakes are special too, but they all melt away and nothing of value is lost.” Kettu countered.

“Please, sit back down. Matilda is just worried too much about me and not worried enough about people she’s hardly met.” Kettu stopped, his eyes focused on the floor, curiosity overwhelming him.

“On one condition.” Kettu said, turning to meet her.

“Name it.” Nina looked up to him, her blue eyes glistening in the dim, earth toned light.

“Tell me about this Pablo fellow, what happened with him?”

Nina lowered her head

“Okay.”

The night went on as did the conversations and cups of coffee. Nina explained to Kettu that Pablo had been just as Matilda had described, a young exchange student from Italy who had grown tired of life, and all that it had to encompass. She described with a sombre manner the summer she spent, trying to get him to see the beauty of life, the reasons behind each person’s existence, she spoke at length about trying to get him to see a therapist, which he continually declined.