Chapter Seventeen

The following night, the citizens of Ridpath tended to the injured and celebrated their victory over the yellowjackets.

Mayor Phillip, who had no long-lasting injuries, announced a formal apology to Fang. He even went so far as to call him a hero. They prepared a banquet of mealworms and beetles for the wolf spider, who hungrily gobbled up bowl after bowl.

There was music and dancing. A pair of Harlequin bugs sung onstage while the band swinged and jived. Many of the insects no longer seemed to fear Fang, and had adorned him in silver bracelets and threw a purple cape around him.

Daisy sat nearby, drinking out of the roses she had been provided with. She had a lot to think about...and so little time to act. Everyone was expecting her to migrate in a few minutes with a group of stragglers. But...she needed to say what needed to be said to Fang.

"Fang?" Daisy whispered.

The spider looked down at her. "Yeah, Daisy?"

The butterfly blushed. Calming herself, she said, "I need to talk to you...alone."

Fang paused for a moment before rising from his seat and patting his mouth with a napkin. "Ok, then. Lead the way, I guess."

The two of them walked into the field they had been in the night previous. All of the surrounding grass had by now faded to a dull brown in color. Daisy's heart hammered in her chest: was she actually going to do this? She...she had to.

"It's beautiful out here, isn't it?" Fang asked. "The sights, the sounds..." He smiled, making Daisy squirm even more. "So, what did you want to say, Daisy?"

Trying not to tremble, the butterfly took a deep breath. Then she said, "Fang...it's about Rogue. I...I can't leave."

The spider looked around. "Where is that blunderbuss, anyway? Is he trying to have at you next?"

"No, Fang..." Daisy tried again. "He's dead. That's not what I-"

A few butterflies raced past,whooping and hollering as they went. "Hey, Daisy!" they yelled. "C'mon! We're about to go!" They laughed and leapt up into the air, spreading their wings.

Fang's countenance became sober as he turned back to Daisy. "Oh..." he murmured. "I, uh...I guess it's time, huh?"

Daisy faltered, then sighed. "Yeah...I suppose it is. But...I'll come back. Three months isn't very long, right?"

"Yeah," Fang said. His attempt to give Daisy a reassuring smile broke her heart. There was a deep-rooted sadness in his eyes that devastated her. "We'll see each other again in no time. It's not goodbye. It's...it's more like...see you later."