Chapter Thirteen

In the weeks that followed, Fang did everything he could for his insect friends. Following the Queen Bee's advice, Daisy and the others stayed in his den while he went out to search for nectar. Often he collected a steadily growing pile of nectar jars for the butterfly to drink out of.

The weather had gotten colder now. Leaves were just beginning to fall from the trees and float in the wind, their stark warm colors a vivid contrast against the greying sky. Fang always managed to find some surviving flowers around Ridpath, and in a way the silence brought him peace.

By now word had spread around Ridpath of the spider's presence, and in response the insects all hid themselves away inside their houses. Those who dared to come out in the open always kept their distance, never taking their eyes off him.

Some of the bugs, unbeknownst to the spider, were having quite the disagreement amongst themselves. A few of them wanted the spider gone...now. Many of them sat on their porches with a rifle in hand, no doubt trigger happy and ready to engage the spider should he venture too close to their home. Others seemed more or less fearful, but reasoned that if Fang wasn't actively seeking out the insects to prey upon them, he was no real threat.

Ridpath had a bit of history when it came to spiders, and none knew it as best as the fly population. Though they were now deemed "stupid" by the rest of society, there was actually a reason for their unfortunate state. When the first spiders began to wander out of Gossamer Forest and invade the plains, tales of horror were heard far and wide about the eight-legged beasts.

Stories of spiders capturing bugs to kill, eat, and maim spread like wildfire in the insect community. Their primary targets seemed to be women, considering they were regarded as the weaker and more vulnerable of the two genders. Sometimes the spiders tried to do much worse, but many of the girls were rescued quickly by the local fire department, who had many horseflies at their ready.

This "war" went on for over 20 years between the spiders and the insects that did all they could to protect their families. And then, as suddenly as they had appeared, the spiders all left. Save for a few weavers here and there, Ridpath was a peaceful town once more. That being said, the fly population suffered tremendous losses and fell into a deep depression.

Though they fought valiantly, many flies had lost their lives to the spiders. Their comrades mourned and mourned. They had all taken up drinking, and didn't bother reading books or listening to their radios anymore. In a way, it was like they couldn't move on without their loved ones right there beside them. Their IQ dropped, as well as their hygiene. Before long, they even ceased to think, not at all the creatures they were in the past.

After witnessing the downfall of the flies, the insects of Ridpath swore that if any spiders returned, they would never cast themselves down so low should they lose any of their compatriots. In fact, thought some of those who sat on their porches, best if we lose nobody at all. The only good spider is a dead spider, and this guy's a ticking time bomb. Just because he hasn't attacked anyone in the past doesn't mean he never will. One long hard winter might be enough to send him over the edge, and then what? Next thing you know, he seizes a girl. I've got my eye on him...

Fang paid no mind to their distrustful stares or their hate-filled glances they cast his way. He was so used to it that he really took no offense at all. What else could he expect from them? That was really the only look he ever got from the insects he encountered, whether in passing or in pursuit. Terrified. Mad. The look of, "I can't stand you." Just for being alive. For existing.