Chapter Twelve

The friends made their way back to Fang's den, where he had apparently saved up some jars of nectar for Daisy. "Here you go," the spider said, holding out a palm full of nectar. "It's not fresh from the flower or anything, but you gotta eat something."

Grateful, the butterfly dipped her proboscis into the nectar and started drinking. Fang stared, fascinated by her. "Huh..." he murmured. The spider turned to the other insects. "What about you guys? Need anything?"

Sage shook his head. "Nah, I'll go get myself some grass. How about you, Dot?"

The ladybug sat down by the fireplace, looking rather worn out from her fight with Madame Noir. "A doctor would be nice," she breathed. Sage flashed her a look of panic. "What?" he asked. "Why?! Were you bitten?"

Dot shook her head. "If I was, I'd be dead already. It's just...my heart's beating really fast...and I'm so tired..."

Fang gestured at the recliner. "Please, rest there. I insist." The ladybug did so, sighing softly. Daisy paused, looking over at Dot. "Everything will be ok now, Dot..." she told her. "We're safe here."

"I hope so," the ladybug murmured. Sage said, "I'll find some help. Sit tight, Dot. Save your strength." With that, the grasshopper jumped outside.

Daisy slurped up the rest of the nectar, licking the last few drops off of the spider's fingers. Fang stared at her for a moment longer before catching himself. Clearing his throat, he said, "There's a lot more where that came from. Jars are...over there." He pointed by the water reservoir. Daisy smiled. "Thanks, Fang..." she replied.

The spider looked over at Dot. "I'll get her a blanket," he said. "She needs to get her energy back somehow."

Dot weakly mumbled something. "What's that?" Daisy asked, sitting by Dot's side. The ladybug said, "I'll be fine. I'm sure of it." Fang covered her with a woolly blanket and cradled the girls in his arms. "You're a cool bug, you know that Dot?" he mused. "I wouldn't have been able to deal with Noir if it wasn't for your bravery."

Daisy nodded, taking one of Dot's hands. "Yeah! For an old lady, you sure can fight!"

The ladybug smiled. "I'm glad I could help you. You've got a heart of gold, Fang. A sheep in wolf's clothing."

Fang grinned. "I mean, if you say so."

Sage arrived, followed by two dragonflies. One was a beautiful green, the other a stark blue. Upon seeing Fang, they froze in their tracks. "It's alright," the spider said. "I'm a friend." Sage nodded his agreement, which was good enough for them.

Daisy cradled Dot in her arms. "What's wrong with her?" she asked the green dragonfly. He looked down at the ladybug, cocking his head. "I don't know yet," he said. "Periwinkle, hand me over the stethoscope." The blue dragonfly did so.

"What's your name, ma'am?" the green one asked.

"I'm...Dot. My name is Dot."

"Hello, Dot. I'm Dr. Musca, and I'm here to help you. Think you can answer a few questions for me?"

The ladybug nodded weakly in response. "Yes, I...I think I can do that."

Musca waved at the other bugs to leave the den for a moment. Fang, Daisy, and Sage walked outside near the entrance. The smell of rain still lingered in the air, and a few grey clouds remained up in the sky.