Chapter 6

7 years later...

Crimson POV

It has been a while since Jinx was adopted by Silco and she became the closest thing I have to a sister and it's been great. Right now, I was sitting in Silco's office, helping him with paperwork and then me, Jinx and Sevika would go get his shimmer supply from the Hex gates. "All done." I said placing the last paper on the pile "thank you Crimson. Before you go would you mind helping me again?" He asked giving me the syringe to stab his eye with "not at all" I said sitting on his desk and aiming the syringe above his eye "ready?" I ask him and he was about to nod his head until I pushed the button without warning. He groaned in pain and I put my hand on his shoulder "are you okay?" I ask him and he sighs before we heard the door open and Jinx came in "Crimson! There you are" she said and I chuckled "remember your shimmer before you go." Silco warned and I nodded. Yeah... I take shimmer too because then I can walk in the sun without turning crispy. I took out the vial and downed it all in one go "never gonna get used to that awful taste." I said earning a laugh from Jinx "it's not funny Jinx" I said glaring at her and she laughed harder and I heard Silco chuckle "okay I'm going to get dressed and I'll be back in a second." I said running out of the door and to my spare room at the last drop. When I entered my room, I went to my walk-in closet and got out my outfit for the day

When I was done, I went back to the office "you do know you're going to the Hex gates not a fashion show

When I was done, I went back to the office "you do know you're going to the Hex gates not a fashion show." Silco said and I rolled my eyes "yeah and I have to unfortunately be at the progress day event. So, I have to look nice" I said with a sigh "it's time to go" he said and I nodded "take care of Nyx while I'm gone" I said following Jinx and sometime later we were at the Hex gates "wait downstairs, I don't want you two to get in the way." Sevika said and we groaned in response but did as she said. Going downstairs Jinx sat on a swing while I pushed her until we heard a commotion coming from the deck and the door opened. We quickly hid behind the barrels before we were seen. We saw two firelights enter before they tripped on a wire that closed the door behind them, trapping them. I pushed the swing slightly to let them know they were not alone "oh no, they're here" one of them said and Jinx ran past them to scare them. They lit a torch up and threw it at the swing. When the torch fell in front of the swing. Jinx and I ran past them and attached some of her grenades to their chests, killing them instantly "that was fun" I said opening the door and letting the smoke free from the room. When we were on the deck all eyes were on us. Jinx blew a strand of hair out of her face "hi" she said and got two of her grenades out throwing at two of the firelights in front of us leaving the middle one for me. As we walked closer, they tried to throw crystal traps at us but we dodged them. Then a firelight came out of nowhere trying to hit me but I dodged his blows and Jinx tried to shoot him but kept missing until I knocked him out. When I looked up, I saw the leader and another firelight throwing one of the barrel's contents over the rest and they were about to light it on fire until Jinx grabbed the girl's hand and punched her in the face. Making her mask fall to the ground. She stared at the girl with wide eyes "V-Vi?" She questioned and I ran to her "Jinx that's not Vi!" I said as the girl got out of her grip and Jinx shot her in the back. "No!" The leader shouted before looking at us. He ran at us but Jinx picked up her minigun and fired at him or tried to at least. He and the last remaining firelights got away just as Sevika and the others got free. She stomped over to us and shoved our shoulders "you were supposed to guard the cargo!" She said and I rolled my eyes when we heard the alarm ring. She looked in that direction slightly as we both glared at her. "I'll take care of this. You can go." I said and Jinx gave me a hug before leaving. When the enforcers came, they all looked surprised to see me "what are you doing here councilor?" Captain Marcus asked and I shrugged "I got lost." I said "strange, people would think being from one of the oldest families in this city you would know your way by now." He said and gave a sigh before we saw one of the enforcers going on the ship and looking around before she went below deck. I followed Marcus to the girl to see one of Silco's goons still here "Caitlin Kirraman. Why does that not surprise me? Interfering with an investigation again." He said as I stood behind him "you're supposed to be guarding your mother's tent." He said and I almost burst out laughing "I was sheriff but she doesn't need it and clearly this takes priority." She said and I rolled my eyes "I realize you're used to getting your way Kirraman but we have a chain of command for a reason." He said "I understand but clearly there's more going on here than just the smuggling. If I could just question him I can---" She started before Marcus cut her off "I'll take it from here. Since you're looking for more work, you can escort the councilor back to the fair and take the graveyard shift tonight." Marcus said and the girl looked down "yes sir." She said and came back to where I was. I chuckled as we went back to the fair. For the rest of the day, I was forced to attend the dull festivities and couldn't help but think what Silco and Jinx are up to while I was stuck here. I sighed as I made my way to the academy for Wonder boy's big speech that the rest of the councilors voted he do instead of Heimerdinger. I took my seat at the front next to Councilor Medarda. As Councilor Kirraman stood on the stage and did a little speech and then it was Jayce's turn. He dragged on and on about new technology that he was going to show but didn't in the end. And I was allowed to leave "oh finally." I said standing up and leaving the building. I was about to leave but was stopped by Medarda "going somewhere councilor?" She asked and I roll my eyes "I'm going home, councilor." I spat at her and left without another word. When I was outside it was already dark and I saw a few enforcers on the steps. I rolled my eyes and went the other way.