Chapter Ten

"Do you have a decent strategy to take out Kiba this time?" Shikamaru asked the blonde as they walked towards the prelim arena.

"It's a pretty basic one that won't show any of my actual skill, but it is much more dignified than last time." Narumi shuddered in remembrance and Shikamaru snickered at her expression. "You're healed enough to take out Kin right?"

"It still twinges a bit, but I can take her out easy enough and since Tou-San knows how long we have been training, I can use a more advance jutsu's from my clan." Shikamaru poked his shoulder gingerly.

Narumi nodded as they joined their teams and sensei's on the platform surrounding a tiled fighting arena. She scanned the remaining Genin's and somehow the rest of Kabuto's team had made it and were allowed to fight in the prelims. She tuned out the Sandaime's speech about how they had to have prelim fights and if anyone wanted to drop out they can, as the fights are one-on-one fights from here on out. She watched as a few people dropped out before the sensei's took their teams aside for pep talks.

"Good luck team, I will hope for your success unless you are fighting each other, than I am not taking sides… Don't die out there." Kakashi told Team Seven with an eye smile. Sakura paled at the last remark while Sasuke 'hn'ed.

"Rousing as usual Kashi-Sensei." Narumi smirked and ducked the flick that was coming towards her head from the Jounin.

The nickname brought back memories for Kakashi, memories of Minato, Kushina, Rin and Obitio. He quickly shook his head to clear his mind as Hayate stepped up with a cough to start the 1st fight as the names flashed up on the screen above him.

Sasuke Uchiha Vs. Yoroi Akoda.

"Good luck Sasuke-Kun." Sakura gushed and Narumi leaned on the railing as Sasuke passed behind her to head down to fight.

"Don't screw up Teme." Narumi sang in an answer to the cocky smirk the other preteen had on his face.

"Like I would Dobe." Sasuke shot back before he went to join Yoroi Akoda to start the fight.

Narumi and Shikamaru watched the fight with slight interest, just wanting to gauge where Sasuke's level was at without the curse seal interfering. Akoda told Sasuke that he could steal charka and Narumi stayed silent this time around; she wanted to see how the Uchiha would get out of this without the curse seal or stealing Lee's Taijutsu's move.

In the end Sasuke sent shuriken at Akoda as a distraction before he got in close with a low rank Katon jutsu and some Taijutsu moves he had learned from his training with Kakashi he sent Akoda into the wall behind him and it knocked him unconscious, making the Uchiha the winner. Sasuke smirked at the other Genin's as he made his way back to his team.

"Top that Dobe." Sasuke said in triumph to the blonde.

'It won't be that hard.' Narumi thought to herself.

"I'll do my best." She replied with a sarcastic bite, but the Uchiha didn't catch it however from the amused look Kakashi gave her the older man did.

Next was the fight featuring Zaku who had use of both arms, but had one in a sling for show. Zaku was going against Shino like before and Narumi watched the fight disinterested, as she knew how it was going to end. Just as before Shino won when he infected the wind tunnels in Zaku's arms. Disturbing but effective, a glance at Shikamaru told the blonde that the Nara was on the same wavelength.

The next match was Kankuro Vs. Misumi Tsurugi. Watching Kankuro wield his puppets once more felt good to watch, the blonde didn't even wince when the puppet master used one of his puppets to crush Misumi's bones. She had seen a lot worse in the war, Misumi should be glad it was only broken bones.