Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

“Why?” I say breathlessly.

“You’ll be safer there. The Central European coven will take you in and you’ll be surrounded by four other covens. You’ll also be nearer Romania, where the main base of the Council is located. Any member can easily teleport and arm themselves there and guard you if needed.”

“How can you say I will be safer when you’ll just move me into another vampire’s house?” I haven’t controlled increasing the tone in my voice I’m almost shouting.

With the look in Gabriel’s face, I can tell that the danger he means here is his self.

I gaze at Luke, pleading him with my eyes to let me stay.

“Gabriel is right, Andi.” He says softly.

Traitor! My head screams at him.

Luke explains. “You’ll be more protected there, especially now that Elijah knows we already found the woman in the prophecy. In fact, I just took a call from a source who informed me that Elijah is discreetly inviting a lot of rogue vampires to join his coven. He won’t stop until he kills you, Andi. He may even attack here and as the coven master of Eastern and Southern Africa, he can assemble quite a large army.”

I think about Claudia, Sarah, Naomi and the others get involved in a bloody war and I instantly wince. I don’t want any more humans killed just because of me, but I can’t accept the fact that I’ll be leaving this place. I now have to live in a house of a vampire I know nothing about. At least here, I’m assured that Luke is around to keep my sanity intact.

Is that the only reason? I stop at the thought in my head. I won’t be seeing Gabriel anymore. I’m not really sure what I feel about that.

“This is for your own good, Andi.”

“Why did you request to transfer me?” I ask him though I already know the answer. I need to hear it from him again.

Gabriel eyes me uneasily. “I want to keep you safe…”

My eyes almost water at that. “But I don’t want to leave…” I try pleading.

“I’m surprised you’re saying that after what I did to you.” He speaks angrily.

But I now understand that all the hatred is directed to him. “I’ll forgive you, but please… let me stay.”

“Will you be able to trust me again?”

I open my mouth to answer yes, but no sound comes out. I clear my throat, uncertainty fills my head and, I guess, shows on my face.

“I thought so.” Gabriel says bitterly. “I won’t be able to protect you if that’s the case. You’ll spend most of your time here avoiding me. What difference does it make to you residing in another vampire’s home? Zach is almost a millennium old. He doesn’t easily get affected with human blood anymore. Plus, he has a mortal wife. You can be assured that he won’t hurt you.”

Mortal wife? A vampire who has a human wife? That is impossible. I’ve certainly read it from various books, but they are just the fantasies of most women right now. I don’t think vampires are capable of feelings, especially with both the trivialities and complexities of love. Can a human really love a creature of the night, for example, Gabriel? I nearly laugh. Poor woman.

“So now, I am becoming a literal tool for a prophecy that you can just transport wherever you wish.”

“Andi.” Luke quickly warns before Gabriel can answer. I definitely don’t want his fangs anywhere in me again, so I shut my mouth.