Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I slowly open my eyes and see the unfamiliar ceiling above me. I move and feel the velvety blanket wrapped around my waist. It takes me a few seconds before realizing that everything that have happened last night isn't a dream.

I almost bawl thinking about my ill-fate. It could have been a nightmare, but I could have considered it as a very pleasant dream compared to what is really happening right now. Last night, Dabria guided me towards the last bedroom at the end of the hallway on the second floor. Another maid quickly followed us carrying a tray full of food. They made me sit on a cushioned, expensive-looking chair facing a small, round, Victorian-times inspired table and arranged the food the maid brought on it. I ate as the two of them watched and waited patiently on one side. I was like a mindless zombie; eating but not tasting, looking but not really seeing, until they cleared out the plates and utensils. It wasn't until I heard the click of the lock when my tears started to pour. How could everything change in just one night? I cried myself to sleep.

I stand up, finally taking in the beauty of the room. The bed is wide and covered with red velvet the color of blood. Thick, Persian rugs spread evenly on almost every surface of the smooth, mahogany floor. I recognize the small table and two accompanying chairs beside a floor-to-ceiling French window draped by elegant, red curtains. Soft lights emerge from the window and I slowly walk towards it. The sun is already up and I can now see the grassy meadow, the foot of the huge white-stoned mountain lined up with shrubs and wild flowers and several brick houses on both sides near the forest. No one's up and a calming tranquility spreads over the entire place.

I look back inside the room and spot an antique dresser on the opposite side. There's a large painting of a pathway inside a mystical forest hanging just above the bed. It's depicting an adventure to the unknown since the end of the pathway is dark and surrounded by creepy shadows. Creepy, just like the owner of course. A door stands at my left which I'm guessing leads to a bathroom. Ancient-looking vases and statues of angels fill the rest of the space inside the room. I walk towards a four-foot figure of a golden angel. His wings are spread out and he's holding a sword, poised to attack. I almost laugh. Gabriel, the archangel. How ironic.

I gasp and stand still as I realize that there's definitely a possibility that I can escape. I dash towards the window again and peek outside. There's still no one in sight. Of course! Vampires sleep during the day!

A shiver of excitement surges from my head to the tip of my toes. No one will be around to guard this mansion and to hold me prisoner. I run to the door and turn the knob. Damn! It's still locked! I look around and search for any means of escape. I open the other door and walk inside a glamorous bathroom. There is a huge tub in a corner with a window beside it giving whoever bathes in it a wonderful view of the mountainside and forest. There's also a state of the art shower stall with a built-in sauna, MP3 player and even a small television screen. A clean toilet stands on the other side and a broad mirror above a porcelain sink.

My eyes focus entirely on the window. I rush towards the tub, climb in it and open the window. A hot bubble bath in the tub looks really tempting. I shake my head clear from useless thoughts and glance outside. 

Birds chirp overhead and the fresh morning air blows my face and hair. I look down and immediately erase the thought of jumping if I don't want to break my neck. I run back inside the room, throw the velvet blanket aside and grab the white bed sheet. I twist them around as I go back inside the bathroom. The stout legs of the tub seem like the only close thing I can latch my improvised rope to so I quickly knot it around one end. I throw the sheet outside the window as I prepare to climb out.

My head reels as I realize I'm standing on the window sill almost twenty feet above the ground. The linen only reaches the upper end of another window below and I have no choice but to jump when I arrive on it. I slowly exhale and start my way down.