CHAPTER 8

For reasons, I've now mixed Hospital Playlist (the universe, at least) into this Glowstar826 crossover recipe. For the purposes of this fanfic, the main 5 have been aged up slightly. Enjoy.

The evening finds Dr. Oh, Suhyeok, and Heesu eating dinner in their shared office space. While Dr. Oh and Heesu lounge on the sofa, Suhyeok has taken the armchair, having kicked off his Crocs and crossed his legs.

"Yah. Joonyeong-ah," says Suhyeok through his full mouth. "Ring Daesu."

"Let him finish his food, gaesaekkiya," chides Heesu.

"Yeah," agrees Dr. Oh with a glare. "You're gonna finish first at this rate."

Suhyeok stops chewing. His cheeks, filled with food, stick out more prominently as he stares at the two of them.

"Bastards," he mutters, and he continues eating.

There's a knock on the door. Dr. Oh, setting his bowl down, stands to answer it. He opens it to find one of the interns—Dr. Lee Ikjun—standing beneath the threshold. Compared to his fellow interns, Dr. Lee is oddly sociable. According to Suhyeok, Dr. Lee was once seen chatting with a custodian, of all people. Another time, he was seen buying coffee for the entire janitorial staff.

"Annyeonghaseyo," he greets, bowing. "I didn't realize you came back from Busan."

"I'll be heading back in a few days," Dr. Oh answers. "The elder Dr. Lee insisted I come this time since I specialize in liver transplants."

"Ah! Well, there's someone who insists on speaking to you. I think she's the donor's girlfriend."

"Is she in the donor's room?"

"Ne."

Dr. Oh nods.

"Thank you for letting me know. You may go now."

"Ne, Dr. Oh."

With a bow, the young intern makes his exit, and Dr. Oh turns to his friends.

"I have an errand," he says. Without waiting for a response, he leaves.

"Are you the doctor?!"

Dr. Oh grits his teeth at the piercing shriek. He nods.

"Yes, ma'am. I'm Dr. Oh Joonyeong."

To hold this conversation, they're standing outside the donor's room, out of earshot to ensure privacy. The poor girl shakes like a leaf. She's clearly distraught.

"Please find someone else," she begs, wringing her hands in great desperation. "Hyunjin is so young—he only turned twenty a few weeks ago!"

The girl bites her bottom lip. Tears spring in her eyes.

"Baek Hyunjin and his father consented," Dr. Oh explains. "If I may ask—how're you related to him?"

"I'm Kim Yeondoo," she answers. "He's my boyfriend."

Dr. Oh nods in understanding.

"You shouldn't worry about survival rate," he says in an attempt to console her. "All the liver transplants I've done came at no cost to the donor."

"I'm still so worried," says Ms. Kim. "He's missing so many classes. It'll be so, so difficult for him to catch up!"

"If you go to the same university, I'm sure you'll be very helpful," counters Dr. Oh with a smile.

He's truly sympathetic to her plight. He knows he'd be the same way if, on the very low chance he'd need a transplant, Heejin volunteered to be a donor.

"I suppose," Ms. Kim acquiesces, hanging her head.

They fall into a tense silence as Dr. Oh ponders.

How can I calm her down?

And that's when he gets an idea.

"How about this? Let's watch a movie." Dr. Oh grins. "Your pick."

Ms. Kim looks up. Slowly, the worry replaces itself with muted sadness.

She offers a small smile.

"All right." She giggles. "Let's watch An Affair."