Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

"You have to tell the police." It was the first time anyone had spoken in what felt like ages. "We don't even know if these guys are safe."

I barely listened to Genevieve's words, my head throbbing.

"Of course they're not safe Genevieve," Jack snapped from his spot on the floor near the door, making her blush.

Despite the situation, my heart warmed. They weren't going to abandon me. I wasn't alone for once.

"I just mean, what if they aren't true to their word? We don't know what they're capable of is all." Jack sighed, a hand clenched tight in his blond hair. He looked even more stressed than I felt, more stressed than I'd seen him look in the short while I'd known him.

"I know. I'm sorry I snapped at you." I found myself looking away as they shared a strangely intimate look, instead turning my gaze to a silent Cameron beside me.

"I don't know what to do." He looked at me calmly, but his expression showed he was thinking. "I don't have that kind of money, Cameron."

A small frow formed on his face, but his caramel eyes didn't lose their warmth.

"Which is why you need to go to the police." I shook my head, my entire body aching.

Police and I didn't mix well. We didn't mix at all, actually. I had gotten into so much trouble in the past that I doubted they would listen, and if they did, they wouldn't do that much. Lani and I had a reputation as bad girls.

"I can't do that, we don't know what those thugs will do." My heart stammered in my chest as he reached out and grasped my hand, moving himself so he was sitting directly in front of me, so close I could feel his breath on my lips.

"If we don't do anything, she'll die. I know you don't want that. Our best chance is if we go to the police and show them this note. They can help." I struggled to stop myself from falling into a daze due to the intensity in his gaze, and instead focused on the thought of Lani all alone, who knows where made to do who knows what.

I knew Cameron was right. I knew we had to act soon, or we'd run out of time.

"Okay, let's go to the-" I was cut off as someone burst into the room, causing Cameron to jump up in front of me, and Jack to slide across the room.

"What the hell?" he exclaimed, picking himself up from the crumpled mess he had been flung into.

Nash stood in the doorway, his eyes alight with excitement and a little confusion. "Nash? What are you doing here?" I stumbled to my feet, a wave of dizziness flooding over me. Cameron turned just in time to grab me as my knees collapsed underneath me, my entire body becoming weak.

"I didn't think I was that bad looking," I heard Nash sniff out, and at any other time I would have rolled my eyes and scoffed at him, but I was more focused on clearing my vision.

Usually Nash's voice cleared my head, and it was his eyes that made me dizzy, but his whole presence had me reeling.

"Now is not the time for jokes Nash," Jack snapped to my surprise. I hadn't know him very long but I'd never seen him act the way he had tonight.

I took a deep breath and steadied myself with the help of Cam, my skin warming where he held me.

"Are you okay?" I nodded, though my head felt like someone was dragging a knife though it.

"Here." I turned to see Genevieve holding a glass of water and some pills, her pale face etched with worry. I took the items from her gratefully and sculled the water, before I moved my attention back to Nash.