Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

The car ride to the dinner was awkward, filled with a whole lot of silence and not much laughter, apart from the forced kind. That didn't happen often.

The blond girl, whose name turned out to be Mia, was a model and aspiring singer. She'd also known Nash and Cameron most of their lives. How sweet, I'd thought when she told me. It was clear she didn't like me though, she obviously thought I wasn't up to her social standard. Although I think she'd missed the part where this was meant to be a formal dinner, instead coming in a short, strappy, sparkly dress that clung to her skinny body in an unflattering way.

Nash rode in the front with Cameron, leaving me to fend for myself in the back. "Mia's actually one of my best friends," Nash had pointed out when I'd gotten particularly hostile at a comment she'd made about me being a gold digger.

Instead of snapping back like I would have usually done, I simply smiled at her and said, "I make my own money, instead of living off my daddy's credit card. Unlike some people," all the while keeping my tone light and happy.

I was relieved when we pulled up to the grand house we would be eating dinner at, cars were parked all down the long driveway, and I had to wonder how many people were coming, or if they just owned that many cars. Both options were plausible.

We parked close to the entrance of the house and I stared up at it in awe.

"He only takes the best," Nash murmured in my ear, his hands coming to rest on my waist. I blushed as I noticed Mia and Cameron watching us and pulled away quickly.

"He?" Nash had scrambled my mind, and I found myself struggling to concentrate on what he was saying because he just looked so... At ease. So relaxed. I had a feeling it wouldn't last long.

Nash and I followed Cameron and Mia to the front door, which had been left open undoubtedly for the numerous guests they had been expecting, and to the right, which was a room where the walls were all made of glass, overlooking the well-lit outdoor pool and the city below.

"It's beautiful," I mumbled as we entered. Nash had a confused expression on his face but I didn't care. It wasn't often I had the opportunity to be in a place like this.

The inner thief in me couldn't help but glance around at any stray objects that would be easy to take without anyone noticing, but I pushed those thoughts down.

I wandered forwards in amazement. A long wooden table sat in the middle of the glass room, set with candles and perfect, empty white plates.

There had to be at least fifteen people milling around, talking and drinking golden drinks from champagne glasses, the hum of conversation drowned out by the sound of sophisticated piano that had started up not long after we'd walked into the room.

"Like I said, he settles only for the best." Nash smiled at me, a genuine smile, and I felt already that this night would be amazing.

Nila was the first to notice us, breaking away politely from her conversation to greet us. To be honest she looked more than relieved to have an excuse to escape.

"Willow, it's so nice to see you looking well," she'd murmured in my ear during our embrace. She kissed me swiftly on the cheek before pulling her step-son into a hug.

She looked so elegant and beautiful, practically radiating grace, her blond hair spilling around her shoulders like a halo. The dress she wore fitted her body like a glove, a deep garnet red. I hoped I looked half as good when I was her age.

I noticed a blond boy around my age staring in our direction, or more, at Nash. He had a mischievous glint in his eye and I saw he was standing with Mia and some other kids, all ranging in ages. I couldn't see Cameron anywhere.